Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Size of fletching, color, I like Flex Fletch vanes, position on shaft, amount of helical, wraps, type of glue used & have been doing it for over 55+ years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like to build it because it’s fun to me and I can save a little bit of cash instead of having the shop fletch up my arrows. And this way I can tinker with the fletching patterns and see what works best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
What do ya gain? Personal pride and a custom arrow you can't buy off the shelf. Same reason some guys tie their own flies for fishing, you make your own luck, you can set the vane configuration however you want up or down the shaft, put a myriad of wraps on to make it your own. I love rolling my own with whatever I choose to hunt or shoot with, plus it's a kick when at the range and someone says, "I love those arrows! where did you get them?"

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do because it is just like reloading your own rifle ammo.
I like to change things here and there to try and get the arrows and setting on the arrow that group best for me and the task at hand..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Basically Im cheap. Once a week I usually mess up an arrow or two, so it pays for me to refletch at home. Its also a time saver as I dont have to drive to my LBS to drop them off and again to pick them up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do my own arrow work because,
It gets done when I need it done, how I want it done, with the materials I want, it’s usually done better, of course there’s things to learn to be able to do it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I am just getting back into archery came over from firearm I am just tired if dealing with the prices and the shortages of firearms anyway on to the topic. Why would you build your own arrows over buying them in the store? I reload my own ammo but I have reasons for that I am just wanting to know what are the advantages/ disadvantages and what do you gain from it
Here's another reason: before the COVID manufacturing slow-downs, I could usually find amazing deals on shafts online, so building/fletching my own would save lots of $. My arrow saw, fletching jigs and glue paid for themselves.

Now...I don't know. If you can even find what you want, in stock, prices have gone up. I paid $125 for my arrow saw about 3-4 years ago. Now, they're expensive.

Still, AZ EZ Fletch+vanes+glue is 100% worth the investment.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have an arrow saw and a blitz jig. Nothing more is needed.

I like to build my 3d arrows with black blazers and black knocks. Makes it way harder to aim at my arrows. I still never leave a 3d without missing vanes. Fixed in 10 minutes on my bench in the garage.

Oh, and we have 1 local shop. He flat out won't fletch arrows because you can't make money at $3-5/ arrow, and new ones are $10. He just points people to the new ones. He's not a bow shop, he's everything hunting and fishing, so he's considering the cost of a $18/hr employee doing it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Time, time and time.
I shoot off a vane it is repaired in less than 5 minutes.
Otherwise it is a minimum of 2 days and 40 minutes having to drive to the shop and back twice.
Plus it is done EXACTLY how I want it done and I know it is done right.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I have this weird hangup. I don't want anyone else's fingerprints on my equipment. I build my own strings on a jig I designed myself. My previous bow press was purchased, but I modified it so heavily it was unrecognizable. I made my own arrow saw using a saw I got from Harbor Freight. I HATE FLETCHING ARROWS, but I do it anyway because I want my equipment to be all MY equipment.

Automan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Being able to bareshaft tune, square ends, use different inserts than what came from the manufacturer, add a helical, etc are all advantages of doing it yourself over buying pre-fletched. A lot of shops don't have the time or desire to custom fletch arrows.

·
Registered
987 Posts
40 years ago I had a shop owner tell me that if I was gonna continue to shoot as much as I was, I really needed to learn to maintain my own equipment - including arrow repair (replacing busted glued on nocks, arrow straightening, fletching\re-fletching) if I didn't, it would end up costing me a lot of time and money over the years. If you are someone that's OK with just buying a half dozen factory prebuilt, screwing points in and shooting them until the fall apart or get lost, then it doesn't make sense for you to invest the time and money to get set up and learn to do it. But you could buy a dozen of those same factory prebuilts and shoot them for a decade or more with just an E-Z fletch jig and come gel superglue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First I do it because it is cheaper.

However, I would do it if it was more expensive just because I like to bare shaft tune and try different insert weights. Then I like to try different fetching styles and feathers too to see what I like best. So I do it to customize.

And lastly, I want to be able to repair my equipment whenever possible.

John

21 - 38 of 38 Posts