Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been lurking for a few weeks and I decided to join in. I’ve been shooting a bow for more than 30 years but stopped about 7 years ago. I startup again this pass summer and was surprised at how much things have changed and in other ways they sure enough stayed the same. Well, I hope I can help some and hope you folks can help me with a question I have about fletching some carbon arrows.

I want to try to fletch some ICS arrows I got and wanted to set up my Bitz so I could shoot with the cock feather up. Can quite figure out how to do that and still have the index mark on the nock be perpendicular to the string. Any suggestions? I tried fletching them and then turning the nock but mess up some nocks doing that so I figure I see if I could fletch them with the cock feather up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
messing up nocks ???

with ics carbons, being able to adjust the nock is one of the plusses...:confused: I just turn mine to get them where I want them. What's giving you trouble ??

·
Registered
53,278 Posts
I don't know of anyone that has a problem. The nocks are a press fit in all carbon arrows, so you can rotate them. Plus just fletch like you would normally and just turn the arrow over for cock feather/vane up. There is only ONE reason for shooting the cock up and that's if you using a drop away rest, or a lizard tongue, never on a prong style rest.:D

·
Registered
951 Posts
dalion, don't worry about the orientation of the nock as it comes out of the fletching jig, you won't be able to get the nock in that position on the jig. after you fletch take one arrow and powder test it untill you get no contact and then set all the nocks to that arrow by rotating the nock by hand. if you lay the powder tested arrow down on a table with the cock feather up, you can lay all the rest down side by side and compare them visually from the nock end to check if they are set the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dalion:

Are you using the proper nock receiver on your Bitz jig? They are replaceable so that you can fletch in different styles, but the standard unit that comes with your jig does not do "cock feather up" and you have to buy one. The standard nock receiver with most jigs is for "cock feather out".
Bob

·
Registered
53,278 Posts
gokid, go back to the first post on this thread, we are talking about carbon arrows not alum. ALL carbons arrows come with tuneable nocks, unless your crazy enough to glue them in.:D
Dalion it doesn't take much to turn any carbon arrow nock, a nail in a board will work just fine.:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Dalion,
You just need to order a new nock receiver for your Bitzenberger. Ask for a receiver to fletch cock vane up (or down). It will cost about $15.00 from Lancaster. The receiver that comes on a Bitz Jig is for fletching cock vane left (or right).

·
Registered
53,278 Posts
ARE YOU GUYS LISTENING AT ALL. Carbon arrows have tuneable nocks. It doesn't matter how they are fletched in the jig. Not that hard of a concept to just turn the arrow over so the cock vane is up when you put it on your bow. Your makeing way too much out of it. It's not rocket science.:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Dale_B1 said:
ARE YOU GUYS LISTENING AT ALL. Carbon arrows have tuneable nocks. It doesn't matter how they are fletched in the jig. Not that hard of a concept to just turn the arrow over so the cock vane is up when you put it on your bow. Your makeing way too much out of it. It's not rocket science.:D
Dale_B1, You aren't listening! The gentleman stated this..."I tried fletching them and then turning the nock but mess up some nocks doing that so I figure I see if I could fletch them with the cock feather up. Thanks."

Carbon arrows have tunable nocks...YES. But every time you turn them they get a little looser. I don't turn mine, I pull them out and then stick them back in if I need to make an adjustment.

We can offer the gentleman the option of buying a nock receiver that will allow him to fletch his arrows with the cock feather up without having to twist or realign nocks. If he wants to spend the $15.00 and not have to fiddle around aligning nocks after a fletching job then stop acting like WE'RE the ones who don't get it.

I spent the few extra $$$ to get a Cock Feather Up nock receiver about 6 years ago when I first started fletching and many dozens of arrows later I would have to say that it has paid for itself in time saved. Call Lancaster and they will put one in the mail to you today and you will have it before they are finished counting pregnant chads.:)

BTW, you can just stick your arm out the window to signal a turn, but most of us like to use the little handle thinggy on the streering wheel to make things a little easier :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I am quite impressed with the help I have gotten here. I am glad I join up. I did try pulling the nocks and inserting them back where I wanted them and that worked well. But I will also order a new nock receiver for my bitz. I have every other nock receiver for the bitz except that one. Doesn't always work that way. Thank you all very much you were all very helpful.

·
Registered
53,278 Posts
idfalks, when you learn to fletch let me know!!!!!!! Our shop does well over 1,000 Dozen arrows a year with out any problems. The girls that fletch them have a combined 40yrs of experince when you achive that let me know.:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's always a pleasure to be flamed by someone as estemed as yourself. Hey genious, just because you flunked reading comp and missed the part where Dalion said that he had messed up nocks by twisting them, don't get all pissy with me because you didn't know that there was a nock receiver that would let you fletch for "cock fletch up".

I imagine that your shop is like many others and you have 12-jig fletching stations where the "girls" can orient the arrows however they wish before they begin the fletching operation. In their case they don't complain because they put the whole dozen arrows in the correct position and start gluin' the stuff on. They don't have to twist the nocks on carbons or swaged aluminums and when they fletch tapered-end aluminums, they orient and glue the nock on after the arrow is fletched.

You said,
It doesn't matter how they are fletched in the jig. Not that hard of a concept to just turn the arrow over so the cock vane is up when you put it on your bow.

The only way you can just "turn the arrow over...when you put it on the bow" is if you fletch it with the correct nock receiver. Apparently you either know less about fletching than I do, or you just don't read very well. Why don't you go and ask the "girls" to show you how they do the job and maybe you will learn enough that you don't show your *** when someone asks a simple question on here.

BTW, with 40 years of combined experience I would think that they are grown-up "ladies" or "women" by now.

Dale_B1, are you listening at all.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Ummmm, Dale, you don't know who you are talking too. I assure you LDFalks knows how to fletch arrows.

Maybe you should come to one of his 3-d shoots and shoot against him. I did and I was humbled to say the least.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.