Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helical, straight or 4 degree??
I'm looking at getting some custom arrows made and was wondering if you guys can help me with a fletching issue I’m having. I will be using the arrows for hunting only, no target shooting. I went to my local shop and the guy told me that 90% of archery shooters are using 2" straight vanes now. I don’t care what everyone else is using, i want to know what the best setup for hunting is. I need to know what the advantages of the vane size and orientation (helical, straight or 4 degree). thanks in advance.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My personal preference is a 4" Feather w/Right helical. Will guide your arrow like no other. Second would be 4" Vanes w/Right helical. Last would be 2" anything fletched with a helical. Don't get me wrong, the 2" will work well, very well most of the time. But for hunting I want something that is going to guide my arrow to my point of aim no matter if it's the perfect release/shot or not.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
for me its feathers with a really good helical, (right wing)
have found that they stabilise an arrow fast especialy with a broad head.
also less chance of deflection if the feather touches the rest or riser on release also dito if it kisses a branch on the way to its target.
personally i like five inch shield cut feathers, i apply them with fletchers tape and then wrap them with silk thread trade style find this gives great adhesion and also holds the helical well and looks great. espeialy with a solid white wrap with a few black and red bars.
havent found any noticeable difernce between 4 and five inch feathers out to 40 meters
down side is feathers are more fragile than vanes especially in the rain.
though a soft plastic bag over them in the quiver helps.
also give them a coat of the wifes hair spray to help them shrug of water.
honestly for function and asthetic you cant beat a good set of arrows with feathers.
also if they get get a bit raggedy a couple of twirls of a steaming kettle or pot of boiling water will soon have them perfect.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Im pretty new to fletching too. I use the two inch blazers. I like them alot and would recomend them, they seem durable. I tried straight and right helical. I dont see much of a difference even when im shoting to 30 yards.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I use the 2" Blazers with a pretty significant right helical. Straight fletching will stabilize field points and even expandables, but not fixed heads.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have been using 2" blazers with as aggressive of a right helical as I can put on with my bitz. They are flying much better than my straight fletched NAP twisters, especially on longer shots.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i got 4'' feathers on right now but next time I order I think I may go with 3'' feathers. No real reason except to give me a tad more speed downrange and still stabilize my broadheads better than the blazers

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
i got 4'' feathers on right now but next time I order I think I may go with 3'' feathers. No real reason except to give me a tad more speed downrange and still stabilize my broadheads better than the blazers
I used 3" parabolic feathers this year and they worked great with Slick Tricks. But in reality the total weight savings with 3" feathers will be only 3-4 grains, or about 1fps, compared to 4" feathers. They will give a little higher FOC, too.

On a side note, I've been tinkering with making some 2 3/4"-3" shield cut feathers with different angled bases sanded on them (to tilt the feather more into the air stream). I've fletched some with as much offset as I can get with a helical clamp, too. They sort of look like boat props when viewed from the nock end. :D So far the results are promising.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Blazer Vanes

2" Blazers with a 3 degree right helical. Love em.

·
Registered
242 Posts
"90% of archery shooters are using straight vanes"

WELL NOW...that is a VERY strong statement and one I would call BS on. That tells me that he don't sell feathers and he also ONLY HAS STRAIGHT CLAMPS!!!!!! That alone would be enough to keep me from going back!!! If he is that out of touch...I would steer clear.
Best for hunting is feathers fletched helical. In my opinion...and it only my opinion...I like hunting with Blazers fletched helical better. They are tougher...won't lay down when wet and will fly a broadhead second to none other than feathers and in some cases every bit as good as feathers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts