Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot carbon arrows and have an ARIZONA E-Z FLETCHER. I have used a couple of different brands of glue but just cant find one that holds up. Can anyone give a simple tip on fletching and repair process to get the adhesive to hold up better.

·
Registered
365 Posts
super glue gel (fastset) is incredibly strong bonding.

with all the pass throughs i have on my club's soft bales i'm surprised i don't have more tear offs but the combination of gel and vanetec vanes is proving extremely durable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i always scuff my carbon arrows with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper very lightly then clean with denatured alcohol. use any of the "super" glues. ie: goat tuff ,aae, duraglue etc.

·
Premium Member
10,924 Posts
We use Fletchtite Platinum in the shop and I use it at home as well. The problem is not usually with the glue you are using but in how you prep the shafts. Assuming you're talking about carbons, I like to rough them up a bit with Scotchbrite. Then clean them with 91% alcohol that you can get at the local drugstore. Not rubbing alcohol---it has oils in it. 91% is what you want or denatured alcohol. Clean with this using a paper towel till you get no black residue or they squeak.

Depending on which vanes you are using you may have to clean the base of the vane. See your manufacturers recommendations on this. I know Duravanes don't require cleaning. If you have to clean the base then use the same alcohol as used on the arrows.

Go about your gluing process. After your vanes are attached to the arrows you should put a dab of glue on the leading and trailing end of the vane. We call this spot gluing. It'll help them from getting torn off during any passthroguhs on targets.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I use the same process as 'bfisher', works every time. The only differences I have is one: all paper towels are white only, no other colors (inks) to get on the shaft and two: I always clean vanes regardless of what brand I fletch. Other than that this process has been fool proof.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.