Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain what a floating yolk is and it's advantages on a hoyt cam and a half?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good question.. I've thought about it.. but never thought to make a discussion topic about it.

The advantage is that it will prevent cam lean on the top cam.. but not real sure how that's an advantage when the bottom cam don't have one.

I can clearly see the advantage of the floating yoke with two cam bows as you can have one on each end. Maybe someone else can be more specific.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
When eggs are uncooked, the yolk floats because the fat content is less dense than the protein content of the white.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Soft Yoke

I think for some bows a soft yoke works great, if the bow is a center line cam then it works fine. However if the bow is not a center line cam then in my experience you should stay with a Hard yoke system. I have a VFT and was playing with a soft yoke system on it. After installing it and shooting a few hundred shots throught it I tried paper tuning it. Not that I am a big fan of paper tuning but it showed I had a 1" tear to the left. I tried everything,
moving my rest to the right, shooting a stiffer spined arrow, turning poundage down, shooting arrows form GT 35/55 to the big game plus and got the same tear. Finally I made a hard yoke system put it on the bow and about 3 shots later had a perfect bullethole with GT 55/75. I am a happy camper. :D

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
On my CC+ cams, Hoyt I do prefer the floating yokes. Much simpler. I saw only dissadvantages with a hard yoke set up on it. It would not tune pefectly. With it floating, it does.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nothing I've read so far explains how this floating yoke benefits a C.5 system when only the top cam has it. Is there no cam lean created from the cable guard on the bottom cam? Or does the design of the C.5 just not allow it.?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Mako

A "hard" yoke pulls on the sides of the limbs according to the difference in twists in the two sides of the cable(s). There would be no way to regulate the lean (with cables) on a cam.5 bottom. It is the connetion between the cables and limbs. It twists the limbs and makes the cam(s) lean, NOT the cam directly.;) Hope that makes sense. It is more pronounced on split limbs than solids. That is why Hoyt has a "floating" yoke.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts