Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After you shoot a turkey and it is flopping around why do tv hunters run up to it? What do they do when they run up? How do you finish it off?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
put your foot on its neck and put weight on it to make sure it gets no air

some stomp its head. Thats just not a way I want one to die

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
they run up to it to keep it from running off. I have shot turkeys had them lay there flopping then get up and try to run off.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
You also want to jump on it and hold it down to keep it from flopping if you are gonna mount it. A turkey can really destroy some feathers thrashing around.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Same reasons here as well. First to make sure it doesn't get away, though usually my first response is to keep the gun on it for a good ten seconds and if it puts it's head up and is alert it might get another shot. Some birds also drop a lot of feathers for some reason, and if you want to keep the tail in good condition or something, you hold it down so they don't break.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can't run as fast as my slow Hoyt or as fast as my 3.5" shotgun loaded with #6 shot! I will not run up to a bird! If it flopping when I get to it, I place its head under a wing & place a knee on that wing, apply weight to the knee & the bird can't breath, done inunder a minute without bloody boots!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I let them flop. It's safer to do that. I have a Road Trips video that shows Michael Waddell pick up a flopping turkey and it hit him right in the family jewels! It was so funny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I shot a tom this year broadside with what I thought was a perfect shot. I saw it flop around and even ran up to it an picked it up. It was doing the fish gasp with eyes rolling back. I put him down thinking that he would die soon and went to look for arrow. I heard flapping and saw him flap off of embankment. I ran to the edge of the embankment and saw him stand up and run away. I will never leave a bird moving again

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just took my first bow turkey this year and the bird never flopped around ounce!!!! I thought it was a little unusual, because all the turkey I have taken with a gun flopped like mad!!!

·
Registered
24,838 Posts
they usually always flop around. the nerves go crazy. i run up and grab the feet and hold until it stops. i blew a bird head damn near clean off and it still flopped like crazy. no way ways he still alive

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I step on the head, grab the feet, give it one full turn and then a tug.. just to make sure I've done all I can to end it quickly.. over kill.. maybe.. but I think it is right...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I shot a tom this year broadside with what I thought was a perfect shot. I saw it flop around and even ran up to it an picked it up. It was doing the fish gasp with eyes rolling back. I put him down thinking that he would die soon and went to look for arrow. I heard flapping and saw him flap off of embankment. I ran to the edge of the embankment and saw him stand up and run away. I will never leave a bird moving again

exactly! It only takes losing one bird to make you start getting to them as fast as you can. When I started turkey hunting I would run up to them just because I saw it on a video. After I had a bunch of turkeys under my belt I stopped doing that.......until I lost one that (I was sure) was stone cold dead.

·
3D Shooter
1,137 Posts
One year I shot one and didnt bother stepping on its head to make sure it was dead. It wasn't moving at all... and the third fence I got to and was crossing on the way back to the truck... threw the turkey over and the little ******* jumped up and took off running!!!! Had to chase him down and that time he got the good ole stomp on the head and the tug on the feet. Now I never miss that step :)

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
they run up to it to keep it from running off. I have shot turkeys had them lay there flopping then get up and try to run off.
Yes I agree , once that has happened to you, you will be a runner also. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Better be careful when grabbing those flopping turks guys. And make sure you hold on tight. Those spurs can put a real nice and nasty gash in ya. I always just put my foot on there neck, and hold down real hard. I never pick them up til the quit moving. Seen too many wounds from spurs.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Dirtstalker is right. I have been wounded twice by critters I shot; both times by turkeys. I had one catch me in the shin with a spur once, and I got poked in the eye with a flopping wing. The eye injury resulted in 3 trips to the doctor. Be careful with them.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I grab them by the neck and hold them up, they can flap and spur all they want, doesn't get to me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts