Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some seem to be telling me the 12 rings are smaller this year.

Talk to several that shot and all I heard was glance out after glance out

Those that shot what your thoughts? Are they smaller. Pro scores didnt look really high over all.

Now this glance out. Whats your thoughts. Levi shooting 75/95 from what Im told. Not a big shaft. Could there be a trend to go with smaller shaft to avoid a glance out?

Last year at Iillnois. I had two glance out both on 14 rings that went into the five. Really hurts bigtime.

Was shooting Xcutters. 22 for me this year.
DB

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ranges was stretched DB, as for glance outs they are going to happen I had good luck with 22s
So your saying the 12 rings are not smaller?
DB

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I didnt think they were smaller, But the ranges were stretched out. Even in hunter class very few shots were below 34 yards. It was challenging and fun though!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
seemed like a lot of the targets on range G and range H had rings that were blimished.....any other shooters on these ranges notice this????

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The pros, semi pros, and open a ranges were stretched big time and very difficult to judge. Hardest course I've ever shot hands down. Narrow gaps to judge and shoot through, heck it was hard to sneak to the side of the stake and try to judge.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
12 rings were the same size the have been the last few years.

In the pro class they may have seemed smaller since they were shooting 5 to a stake and the got the 12s packed fairly quickly!!!!! Of course Mike gave them the option to score upper or lower 12s, but they voted against it. When you do that glance outs will happen frequently.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
The pros, semi pros, and open a ranges were stretched big time and very difficult to judge. Hardest course I've ever shot hands down. Narrow gaps to judge and shoot through, heck it was hard to sneak to the side of the stake and try to judge.

I know those that shot the ASA qualifier the Sunday before the shoot, did fairly well in that form of terrian.... Mostly because this years state shoot there is a lot of tight shots..

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
12's were the same size... The Open B ranges were stretched out a little, but there were a few close targets too, that kind of balanced it out... I thought They did a really good job setting the ranges, lots of in and out, quartering and hidden targets...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Seemed to me they were the same size too. But they were strethed out. We had a blast though. Kept it interesting. Really made you think about chasing them 14s....lol

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
DB-

The 12 rings I do not believe were smaller, the ranges I shot were pretty long for the most part and had alot of quartering targets which could have made the 12 seem smaller. In all both ranges I shot were great. Thinking ASA will be having some longer ranges this year if Florida was any clue. In regards to the glance outs, that is the choice you take when shooting for a 12 if it is full. Had this happen to me in Florida,the 12 had 4 arrows in it didn't want to take a chance on being knocked out so shot a 10 and went on. I call it course management

·
NFAA
2,624 Posts
I know those that shot the ASA qualifier the Sunday before the shoot, did fairly well in that form of terrian.... Mostly because this years state shoot there is a lot of tight shots..
I thought the shoot the week before was harder than the ASA because the trees were tighter to the course. The Pro/Am had some interesting choices at some fun distances. More than a few where an 8 was considered a very fine score....

SB

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put five pros on one target and your going to have lots of glance outs. Not sure you could put five large arrows in a 12 ring.

This makes sense on glance outs.

DB

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
12 rings were the same size the have been the last few years.

In the pro class they may have seemed smaller since they were shooting 5 to a stake and the got the 12s packed fairly quickly!!!!! Of course Mike gave them the option to score upper or lower 12s, but they voted against it. When you do that glance outs will happen frequently.

Amen and that sucks losing points with good shots.
DB

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
DB,

I agree with the masses. The 12 appeared same size as it has in the past. I had a glance out in day 1 that went from a 12 to a 10. I had a glance out during day 2 that went from a 12 to an 8 (and barely stayed an 8, almost a 5). While I would have loved to have those 6 points (theoretically it would have put me on the podium), I feel that glance outs are just part of the game. Nobody forced me to shoot for those 2. It is a risk associated with playing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Seemed to me they were the same size too. But they were strethed out. We had a blast though. Kept it interesting. Really made you think about chasing them 14s....lol
So thats what happen you were gunning for those 14's..LOL
Everthing seemed normal to me the one complaint i did have was that two of the targets on J/I had the wrong inserts in them and the 12's were orintated diffrent.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Senior Open shot E and F ranges....SUPPOSED to be 45 max.....for sure paced 2 targets at 47...a yard more. Course was set up difficult...be we all shot the same course in my class. 12's weren't smaller.....just tougher to hit.

G

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
We shot the E Range for Our unknown, and there were definitely a few "out there"... There is a +/- allowance on the Yardage at ASA, I've learned if it looks like more than Max, it probably is...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts