Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be getting stationed in Florida shortly and I have no experience with southern hunting. I hunt out of tethrd shadow and hawk helium climbing sticks. What other gear should I look to get (I am used to layering up and not having to worry about bugs)? Any tips would be great!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Florida whitetail huntin is tuff. What part of the state are you movin to? After movin here from GA, i pretty much gave up deer huntin in this state and focus on a few outta state trips every year. There is plenty to do in FL, gator huntin, turkey huntin, spear fishin, lobster, scallops, hog huntin, big bass, etc. but huntin whitetails down here just doesnt do it for me. Its hot, usually flooded, you dont see a ton of deer and believe it or not access is crazy hard to get and clubs are more expensive a year than what i pay to hunt in the mid-west. To answer your question, id get some snake boots or chaps and a thermocell. Good luck!

·
Born yank raised south
16,974 Posts
Invest in good light weight hunting clothing and a Thermacell is a must for hunting here. Snake Boots if snakes worry you. Depending on where you are the cold here is different due to the very high humidity. I can hunt comfortably in Kansas with two layers when it's at 32° but in Florida I have to add an extra layer. You will be hunting in heat a lot so always bring water in your pack. It's still mid 90s here when season opens and stays hot until Halloween or later. If you dont like hunting in heat you wont hunt much. You going to be at Mayport...Nas Jax...Eglin or Pensacola?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I appreciate it! I will be in the panhandle area so there is plenty of stateland to the north of there. I have noticed there isn't much for indoor archery here either.

·
Born yank raised south
16,974 Posts
Really not much need for indoor archery here as we dont get snowed in or have extended periods of cold weather. Check with the base MWR you're going to, they may have an archery club/range. Some bases also have Rod and Gun clubs that set aside portions of the base for military and civilian employees only to hunt. I know NAS Jax has an archery range that is really nice. Too bad you weren't going to be in the Jacksonville area I could have helped you out more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
I’m you may want to consider hog hunting for all the reasons stated. Remember, snakes,gators, and insects all want to kill you

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thermacell is a must. Snake boots or good pair of rubber boots. the hunting can be tuff here but areas do have good deer population. problem is not a lot of terrain differences Swamp heads and pine flats. But a bad day hunting beats a good day at work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're going to be in the Eglin area pm me when you get here. Lot's of opportunities in the panhandle and the hunting's not bad either. Bow season here doesn't start until late Oct and it's normally cooled off a little by then.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thermacell X 100!!!! snake boots and don't challenge the wind until we get 10 mph steady wind it WILL swirl. Glad to have you in the area and THANKS for your service

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Easily the most difficult place to hunt Whitetails in the country. I’m an avid deer hunter, but if I’m forced to move to Florida, I’d take up fishing instead. It’s rough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I grew up in Ocala. I used to hunt locloosa near orange lake and cross creek. Yes it’s hot yes plenty of nasty snakes and big skeeters.

·
Blue Marlin
3,001 Posts
I hunted the swamps in South Florida for years. You'll see more fearless snakes than anything else.

·
Muzzy61
1,625 Posts
Thermacell, snake boots, thermacell, tick repellent (permethrin), lots of water and did i mention thermacell.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,805 Posts
Long time Florida bow hunter year round and south Florida to south central Florida.

#1&2 pieces, Shannon bug suit and 2,Thermacells.

Lite weight fast dry shirts like UA Heat Gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Great feedback..Check out the Florida Buck Registry...Florida has some great bucks! But, getting a place to hunt them is really tough for sure!

As stated it is very hard to find leases or clubs to join, they are there but you have to watch regular and be ready to jump!

Some great late season hunting out in the Panhandle and a short run up into Alabama from there...can’t exactly remember tye details but there is a 1st come 1st served rut hunt out in a WMA in the Panhandle the hunt date is like February 21-23 or something like that..that’s right late February! The population in the state is much less in the Panhandle so WMA’s are less crowded...I did say less crowded!

And, all of the gear mentioned above is spot on...and as well the comment about cold in humidity is also spot on!! I’ve had friends from other areas of the country come visit me when it was cold here and they said they’d never been so cold! Wet Cold is Cold!!!

Good Luck and Thanks for Your Service!!

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Get some 600 grain arrows with really sharp fixed blades and hunt hogs, open season.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Most folks in the panhandle get a lease in Alabama, hour or two drive at the most, not to bad price wise. I prefer to hunt the local WMAs, they're humongous. Plenty of other hunters but ya just learn to deal with it. I didn't have any problem getting my 5 deer this year, you can easily find a place to your self on the early archery hunts. Buggs aren't the end of the world like so many make them out to be. After a dry summer bugs may not even be an issue, out of a 30 day early season I probably only used my thermacell on 6 or 7 hunts. Now if we have a tropical storm right b4 the season and water is everywhere that's a different story. People complain about the bucks only weighing 125 lbs but that's the best part IMO. Easy to get out of the woods. I've lived out west b4 where harvested game was a real pain to get out of the mountains. Now when I shoot a deer I'm home in under an hour, rdy for dinner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most folks in the panhandle get a lease in Alabama, hour or two drive at the most, not to bad price wise. I prefer to hunt the local WMAs, they're humongous. Plenty of other hunters but ya just learn to deal with it. I didn't have any problem getting my 5 deer this year, you can easily find a place to your self on the early archery hunts. Buggs aren't the end of the world like so many make them out to be. After a dry summer bugs may not even be an issue, out of a 30 day early season I probably only used my thermacell on 6 or 7 hunts. Now if we have a tropical storm right b4 the season and water is everywhere that's a different story. People complain about the bucks only weighing 125 lbs but that's the best part IMO. Easy to get out of the woods. I've lived out west b4 where harvested game was a real pain to get out of the mountains. Now when I shoot a deer I'm home in under an hour, rdy for dinner.
When you are hunting the WMA's do you see/shoot many wild pigs? Just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
749 Posts
When you are hunting the WMA's do you see/shoot many wild pigs? Just curious. Thanks!
Not really, given just a little pressure and they're harder to get than deer. On private land you can bait them and that levels the playing field. In the WMAs I've only killed maybe 5 in the last 10 years. Once you live here awhile you can find some private land to shoot them on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts