Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I believe it has to be in an approved airline (ATA) case w/ special lock latches like the SKB 2SKB-4114A. It's a great case to travel w/ and comes w/ insurance.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
I have taken a recurve broken down in the suitcase with no problem, but alway's use a hard case for the compound..
Don't know about the compound in the suitcase, although I have thought about getting a real shorty one so that I could do it.
The biggest problem would be the arrows, none of my cases are big enough to take the length of even my smallest arrow case.

Kev

·
Banned
97 Posts
Any case suite or bow should be fine - triple check with the powers that be -
If I fly with a gun , I copy the laws from the the ATA site , usually the problems arise when checking in and the clerk not having the correct info.
I have flown with bows and never once claimed one , national or international , and never have had problems

A few countries now confiscate Broad heads , and possibly the entire bag - Holland and or the entire Netherlands comes to mind on this one - again dont take our word for it research proper

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
"won" gives good advice above.

I've made two trips to Africa (both on Continental and/or affiliates), so I'm no expert, but any kind of case you choose is fine. Some suggest using a golf bag because they normally don't charge for "oversize". I just picked up a Badlands suitcase made especially to hold a bow and that's what I'll use next time. Lots of padding on each side. And the arrows will fit.

The content guarentee on the SKB case has been worthless to me and my brother-in-law. We've both had damage to our gear on each African trip --- going and coming. For the guarentee to work you'll need to thouroughly inspect your gear (rest, sight, cam, etc.) before you leave baggage claim and demonstrate any damage to an employee of the airline, fill out forms, and then you can submit a claim to SKB if the airline doesn't compensate you. Try that in some language you don't speak!! I don't think I understood that when I paid $200 for the cases.

I don't believe there's a rest or sight that can't be mangled by the baggage monkeys. May be best just to shoot instincitve off the shelf!!!

Best of luck to you.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Its not just golf , its \"sporting equipment \" that slips by , that said - airlines do not cover sporting equipment ! or electronics
If you are in need of a site , carry it on
might want to think about shipping- its insured , and it gets there , and tracking and .....
I have the good Plano - if I pack arrows i always arrive with a few bent or broken ....

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I used to store my extra arrows in a piece of 3" PVC tube with the ends taped. That might be the way to go for travel. Even 2" would work. Would you actually be able to carry on a bow? I've never flown and don't intend to,so I'm asking. I wouldn't want to chance my bow getting lost.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I used to store my extra arrows in a piece of 3\" PVC tube with the ends taped. That might be the way to go for travel. Even 2\" would work. Would you actually be able to carry on a bow? I\'ve never flown and don\'t intend to,so I\'m asking. I wouldn\'t want to chance my bow getting lost.

You can not carry on a fork !
I can not imagine the freek out if I trotted on a plane with a compound ?
I have worn a Full Face Moto Cross Helmut on board with a T shirt that read \" Your No Safer In First Class \" , lets just say I wont be doing that again , espically when flying thru Denver !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts