Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a buddy that wants to take me out whitetail hunting for my first time ever this year, and I am starting to think about switching my 3D hunter class bow over to a hunting setup extra early so I can get LOTS of practice in. Here's my question. I think I have my arrow choices narrowed down to a few. Would most of you guys pick the Easton Full Metal Jackets, or the Easton Axis N Fused all carbons? Why would you pick the one you do? Any shafts you would pick over both of them for the same price? In case it affects your suggestion, I will be shooting my Rytera Alien X. 62#, 27" Draw length.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
I shoot both the Axis N.F. & FMJ and both are very good arrows for hunting. I shoot my N.F. when I am deer hunting and save my FMJ for hogs due to the extra wieght.

Just remember, FMJ can be bent... N.F. Axis will not, making the N.F. Axis a better choice as an all around shaft. JMO

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
If you're going to be using your setup for 3D as well, use the FMJ's........they pull a LOT easier.;)

·
Whitetails!!!
1,575 Posts
i have some fmj's i would sell, i use maxima hunters and these came with a bow i bought, i have 9 of them, let me know if you're interested

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think either would be an excellent choice. You'll probably be OK with a 400 spine shaft. I use 400's and they are perfect from my 62# Judge and my Mathews DLD. I cut mine to 29". If using a 100 gr tip the FMJ will weigh 420-440 depending on length. The Axis n fused a little lighter from what I recall from the easton web site. I'm use both ACC's and FMJ's. What I like about the FMJ is the outer aluminum wall. Slides easier out of targets. Wear extremely well, and are durable. I've taken my last 2 elk with them. I may change to a slightly lighter arrow shaft for hunting this yr. on my antelope hunt. ACC's are about 400 gr. for the same length shaft. The carbon outer core picks up crud from foam targets, but nothing I cant live with. I have looked into the N fused shafts and may yet give them a shot. The reviews I have read are very positive. A durable and excellent hunting arrow.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
FMJ's 400 spine...that's what I just started shooting out of my new 62# Admiral. They are sweet shooting arrows for sure. I have mine cut to 28" and they weigh in at 430 grains with 100 grain tip. I also like fletching directly on the shaft without a wrap and the vanes won't come off either...and if you shoot a hole through one you can just replace the one vane. They are tough too and you'd have to grossly abuse them to bend them.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
I love my N.F. Axis arrows! Can't say I've shot the FMJ's so I can't give an opinion on them. I think you'd be fine with either one though.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I chose the Axis Nano because they do not bend, but I still would like to try the FMJ. I think they would be good for elk hunting.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Although I don't shoot 3D courses, I do shoot 3D targets and (as previously stated) the FMJ's pull easier than an all carbon shaft.
They seem quieter across the rest (yes, even when the rest is covered).
Bow is quieter with the heavy shaft.
I've been happy with them.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I would go with the Axis as well, just based on weight. It seems like it would be right around the best weight/speed ratio. Just my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts