Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fmj camo 400 or aramid kv 350. i currently shoot maxima 250 and am wanting to change to one of the above mentioned. which do you believe to be the superior arrow and why? any input would be appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
fmj camo 400 or aramid kv 350. i currently shoot maxima 250 and am wanting to change to one of the above mentioned. which do you believe to be the superior arrow and why? any input would be appreciated. thank you.
...I don't have an Easton Chart in front of me, but are you sure with your draw weight and length, the "400" are correct and that you shouldn't be looking at the "340" instead??...

...anyway, someone will know if you don't...just wanting to be SAFE ...I know some guys are into "light arrows" and "speed"...I'm into killing game and not my bow or myself!! :D

...I much prefer the FMJ since I started hunting with them...have to look long and hard to find anything to top them for hunting shafts IMHO :darkbeer:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
before i actually purchase any of them i am wanting to shoot the 400,340 and the aramids at my local pro shop.

thanks for the info. i am leaning towards the fmj's though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
good thread :teeth: il be watching this one. im looking to improve as well. what are the arrow gpi's of these 2? i shoot a rebel hunter/ teminator combo now at 11.3 and 9.9/10.6 respectively ( i shoot a mixed bag for a variety of things, just to clarify) i like a good heavy arrow even if it drops my speed. it gives me more ooomph to pound through the tough stuff.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The Aramid 350 is not a 340 spine. Its a little stiffer. Im shooting that arrow at 27.5 inches and it will not spine unless Im shooting a 125 grain tip.

Gives me 435 grains without the collars and 440 with.

That being said these arrows are as tough as they come. The only time I have damaged any were robin hoods.

Had a buck roll on one this year and it didnt break. Not saying that they are indestructable. I didnt break one.

·
Registered
950 Posts
FMJ is made in the USA. I believe the Aramid is made in Korea. I try to purchase products made here whenever possible.
That being said I shoot Eastons, the FMJ is my hunting arrow of choice.

·
Schroeder 188
564 Posts
Fmj

I shoot the 400s at 28 1/4" long at 72# 29 1/2" draw, I know sounds light messed with the 340s would not fly like I wanted swicthed to 400s and tuned like a dream.

·
Registered
157 Posts
unless you just want to go with the fmj i think the grs are fmj 9.7 but the regular axis is 9.0 and camo axis is 9.4 thats in the 400 shafts

·
Always Scouting
3,418 Posts
Good thread

I'll be watching this thread too. My dealer took his hunting setup Aramid and put one end on a step and the other on the floor and told me to step on it. It flexed but never even came close to breaking. I don't think any other arrow on the market can do this. He also said he has never had a problem tuning or spinning either arrow. The fmj are easier to pull out of targets but are less durable then an all carbon arrow. The weight difference between the two is about 15-30 depending which fmj you go with. I would buy USA made if possible but I always choose the one that works BEST. If price is at all a factor the Aramid's are going to cost you about $60-70 more a dozen. One could get another 1/2 dozen fmj's for that.

Good Luck,
Matt

·
Registered
827 Posts
Both are excellant arrows, I have shot them both and would shot which ever one flys better out of your bow.

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,546 Posts
I liked the FMJ 400's out of my 101st, the antelope and deer, however, did not. The only issue I had with them was getting higher FOC out of them, I had 9.9%. I think you would be better served with the 340's with your set up. I do really like the Aramid KV's but could never justify the cost.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Personally, I'd choose the FMJ's. Those KV arrows don't have any added benefit when accruacy is concerned and not worth the price tag IMO. I've shot FMJ's for 3 yrs and love them. I have no intentions of shooting anything else for hunting.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ok so the easton fmjs in 300 or 340 are 12.0 and 11.3 gpi respectively and the kvs are 9.8 for a 350. im not sure what the spine measure things mean, is a .330 comparable to a .340 ?
so for a heavier set up id be better of with fmjs unless i looked at cx piledrivers or run out quick and stock up on the rebels and terminators. im not sure what im going to do, they dont make them and so far they have been hard to find.
it seems like the kvs are way more expensive, but are fmjs comparible to maximas? maximas are slightly cheaper it seems. are they still a good shaft? my brother has a pack and hasnt opened them yet. i think i need more input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts