Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am just about to fletch for my speed bow Speed Pro High Country. What the heck are these FOB's and do they slow my arrow down because I am going for maximum speed?

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
Yes they do slow it down. I found I lost 3 fps out of the gun and I think they slow it down even more down range. It is the price you pay for superior broadhead tipped arrow flight at longer distances and especially with a wind. I have found the 3" Fusions to control the arrow just about as good, but without the speed loss.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just doing some reading and it seems the Fusions have a much better flight. See this Link on fletching reviews. You will notice the Fusions are the second best performer next to the Plastifletch Max. However the author says that the Plastifletch may not be good for broadhead control.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
IMO You cannot go wrong with FOBs. They offer better arrow flight with broadheads and field points and they have significantly less wind drift. They are also much more consistent than vanes because they are all exactly the same so you do not have any variation from arrow to arrow. As long as the arrows are good then they will all fly exactly the same. They will stabilize any broadhead at any speed. I'm shooting them at 335fps out of my Omen and I'm using Muzzy 3 blades as my hunting broadhead and they are flying great. I also shoot big two blade Satelite broadheads and they fly to the same point. If you have your bow set up properly then they will do everything a vane does and more. When you shoot an animal they will pop off and mark the spot that the animal was so you can pick up the blood trail immediately. That is a fact and I had the oppurtunity to find it out this year. By using the FOB I was able to my arrow that my bow had buried in the ground and the blood trail of my deer. Go to starrflight.com and you can read more about them, but they have been working great for me using a high speed set upo and being able to shoot any broadhead that I want. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have been playing around with them for about 1 month. They perform as advertised and fly big nasty broadheads well. I had no issues w/ adjusting my anchor and now I feel I have a better more repeatable anchor. They do make more noise in flight compared to vanes, but that seems to be a non-issue to me. Some folks complain that if you hit a limb when hunting that the fob will come off or deflect the arrow. I have shot the FOB arrow thru brush and orange tree limbs w/ no issues and the same POI. Cant shoot tight groups is about the only downfall and the possibility of the fobs popping off while walking thru heavy brush ect...I'm going to hunt gobblers this spring with the FOBS and see how they do. Its nice to have options like the FOB.

Ease of operation is a plus also...fletch dozen arrows in 2 mins. or less.

·
Undocumented
18,095 Posts
Speed is Over rated. fobs are Fantastic. They have a tad more drag. But you end up with better Accuracy specially with those long shots. I've never lost a Fob while out Spot and stalking for several years. I do take care of my equipment and I'm always aware of my bow and Quiver location and placement. I don't recommend that you group shoot with fobs. I shot one Arrow per spot or Vital Area. Fobs can last a long time as long as you don't do heavy grouping. when it comes to fobs hitting branches, its never happened to me. whether I'm using vanes or Fobs, i don't shoot Unless I know its 100 percent Clear of any limbs. So I've never popped a fob off on a limb or through brush. Check out www.starrflight.com for more info including whether you need regular or Axis Fobs. www.southshorearcherysupply.com sells full tubes, half tubes and 3 pack for sale.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I don't shoot fobs because:

I enjoy fletching

A well tuned bow can shoot a monster broadhead out to 80 yards plus with fletching, feather or fob

They slow your bow down significantly at long range (not 30 yards more like 60)

You can't paper tune with them

And its a pain you only get twelve because I always tend to break 1 or 2 when target practising.

Overall, they work as advertised but I'm not gonna switch from fletching if they work fine for me and plus I like the way the look better. By the way, I shot them for over a year and had no complaints with flight but just not for me.

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
Speed is Over rated. fobs are Fantastic. They have a tad more drag. But you end up with better Accuracy specially with those long shots. I've never lost a Fob while out Spot and stalking for several years. I do take care of my equipment and I'm always aware of my bow and Quiver location and placement. I don't recommend that you group shoot with fobs. I shot one Arrow per spot or Vital Area. Fobs can last a long time as long as you don't do heavy grouping. when it comes to fobs hitting branches, its never happened to me. whether I'm using vanes or Fobs, i don't shoot Unless I know its 100 percent Clear of any limbs. So I've never popped a fob off on a limb or through brush. Check out www.starrflight.com for more info including whether you need regular or Axis Fobs. www.southshorearcherysupply.com sells full tubes, half tubes and 3 pack for sale.
I live mine especially in the Kansas winds........I can get about 2-3" closer to the target versus 2" Blazers at 60 yards in 15MPH winds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts