Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just punched in my information at bowjackson.com to see if my wraps and vanes with a 28 inch 400 spined beman camo hunter arrow is ok to shoot with 100 grain broadheads. my test came out 8% foc......is this good? what is optimal FOC?
thanks,

DD

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
That sounds really low. I think you want to be around 13% with carbon arrows.

What vanes are you shooting and how long are those wraps?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 inch vanes, blazers 5 grains a piece

5 grain, 4 inch wraps

if it sounds really low, then what does that mean and how do i correct it? thanks
DD

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the most important thing is what kind of arrow flight you are getting. Different FOC's seem to make the most difference at longer ranges (40+).

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
You can increase FOC by either growing a longer shaft or increasing point weight. You could make a very very small difference by removing the wrap, but it wouldn't be worth it.

It doesn't seem like your FOC is calcualted correctly to me though...in fact, when I put something similar to your stated arrow, it comes up as 11.9%. This is for a 3" feather, which I am guessing should be close to 5gr. and no wrap.

·
strayarrow
2,446 Posts
foc

Try it again. I agree with the guys above that your foc should be higher. 8% does sound a bit low. See how they shoot and if they fly well, have a good hunting season as you don't need to touch them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Checkout the Gold Tip site.. They got a good calculator and weight info you should be able to translate into your stuff..

·
strayarrow
2,446 Posts
23 gr

With the gold tip 5575, the inserts are 15 grains. 23 sounds like those ones for the easton carbonaeros. The weight would only be a rough estimate. Mine weigh 380 w 4" vanes, 100 gr point. They're somewhere around 28" long so it should be close.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i just ck your arrows on the archery program and came out with 10.95 foc and 410 gr. maybe you fat fingered a # or something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts