Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short little update in between experiments. This one is partially inspired by the haters and flat earth conspiracy theorists who refuse to accept my data (just kidding guys, it's all love). I've been busy thinking of ways to display my findings and make the experiment more accurate.

As always suggestions and criticisms are welcome. Feel free to let me know what test you would like to see next, especially in the comment section under the video on YouTube. I really appreciate the feedback. Don't be offended if I rebut your opinion. I am trying to keep an open mind as well.

I am leaning toward a ballistic gel penetration test in the near future. BIG THANKS TO Gabe aka gemart from right here on ArcheryTalk who made a very generous donation to the cause and will most likely be the guy responsible for making the ballistic gel blocks happen. Thank you Gabe. You are the man. And thanks again to all you archery nerds on AT for making the whole thing fun. Remember we doin SCIENCE here people.

9yfBni6dPgk&feature=youtu.be

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that the glare from the overhead lights was covering the readout from the scale and i said some of the numbers wrong. Sorry guys I was in a hurry yesterday.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump

·
Back Yard Champion
29,832 Posts
Can't see the video, but think I get the jest of things.

My hunting arrow of choice has always been that of 375 to 383 grs whether mechanical or fixed. The bow at the time cranked 270 fps. Doing the math for 380 gr arrow; 61.5 ft lbs.

Ballistic gel works kind of good for bullets, but even then it's been proved clothing hampers pistol hollow points and there is no bone. For a arrow all there is gel and I would think a block of gel two feet long might be needed.
We did arrow/bullet test years ago using a sand pile. We had a set distance so the sand was of equal width front to back and also for depth - top of sand pile down so both had equal amount of sand. The .30/06 165 gr bullet stopped time and again with the sand pile and the arrow went right on through the sand pile and a feet beyond. DB did the test and he has since passed on so I do have what the arrow weighed nor velocity of the arrow.

I've collect a fair of deer, something of 50, and have lost one due to just bad shot in the shoulder. The buck was hit so hard it was flipped over backwards and either stunned something good or knocked out. So lucky me has put the arrow where it should have been on the vast majority of deer. I've had 3 frontal shots where the arrow buried to the fletching twice and one arrow went all the way in.

My own test. 3 sheet of 3/8" plywood spaced the width of a 2X4. The fixed blade broadhead in NAP Braxe. I think 3/8" thick plywood more than represents a deer's rib and then to penetrate 3 sheets and go so deep in the bale. It's real plywood, not the chip board - note the ends and grain showing 6 entrance holes.

Forgot to add; Just a Carbon Express insert and the 100 gr Braxe

Pic is of 03/18/2010

Attachments

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
I use sand for penetration test.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
I use sand for penetration test.
I use elk for my penetration tests. Unfortunately I don't get more than one test in a year.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait... nothing on the beard?

Video was OK, but I was hoping to see some more arrows traveling through the air and coming to a stop in target media, as I'm already satisfied with your build process and build consistency.
Next test is going to be a group size test for the individual arrows so I wanted to be sure that the tune was as good as it could be. You are satisfied but I'm sure there will be people complaining even after I bare shaft tune.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Next test is going to be a group size test for the individual arrows so I wanted to be sure that the tune was as good as it could be. You are satisfied but I'm sure there will be people complaining even after I bare shaft tune.
Awesome. I predict that given a large enough sample, there will be discernible difference in group size between the best and worst group. We can adjust our sights to compensate for various trajectories and still score well, but we can't adjust for group size, we have to change equipment, so IMO, the importance of FOC (within normal distances) is not trajectory, it's accuracy.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
I use elk for my penetration tests. Unfortunately I don't get more than one test in a year.
Hahah I would love to use an elk. But that’s just something that’s not going happen not in the near future anyway

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahah I would love to use an elk. But that’s just something that’s not going happen not in the near future anyway
The only elk I ever get a shot at is on the back half of the Waxobe 3d range

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't really been following this thread.But here's a video us nerds may like.
https://youtu.be/7rP8Xantd3Q
The thing I can't seem to figure out is whether Dr. Ashby shoots compound or recurve. I see alot of videos of him talking but I can't find anything where he's actually shooting a bow.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure as I don't follow him. Sounds like recurve as of late.
Interesting. From what I can gather, having talked to a number of good recurve shooters, arrows behave much differently coming out of a recurve as compared to a compound. That was one of my suspicions regarding Dr. Ashby's findings. I am extremely interested to see how my test results will compare to his.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Interesting. From what I can gather, having talked to a number of good recurve shooters, arrows behave much differently coming out of a recurve as compared to a compound. That was one of my suspicions regarding Dr. Ashby's findings. I am extremely interested to see how my test results will compare to his.
Yes. In that video he was talking about moving the plunger. That's a different animal from a drop away as we all know. What rest are you testing with.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't see the video, but think I get the jest of things.

My hunting arrow of choice has always been that of 375 to 383 grs whether mechanical or fixed. The bow at the time cranked 270 fps. Doing the math for 380 gr arrow; 61.5 ft lbs.

Ballistic gel works kind of good for bullets, but even then it's been proved clothing hampers pistol hollow points and there is no bone. For a arrow all there is gel and I would think a block of gel two feet long might be needed.
We did arrow/bullet test years ago using a sand pile. We had a set distance so the sand was of equal width front to back and also for depth - top of sand pile down so both had equal amount of sand. The .30/06 165 gr bullet stopped time and again with the sand pile and the arrow went right on through the sand pile and a feet beyond. DB did the test and he has since passed on so I do have what the arrow weighed nor velocity of the arrow.

I've collect a fair of deer, something of 50, and have lost one due to just bad shot in the shoulder. The buck was hit so hard it was flipped over backwards and either stunned something good or knocked out. So lucky me has put the arrow where it should have been on the vast majority of deer. I've had 3 frontal shots where the arrow buried to the fletching twice and one arrow went all the way in.

My own test. 3 sheet of 3/8" plywood spaced the width of a 2X4. The fixed blade broadhead in NAP Braxe. I think 3/8" thick plywood more than represents a deer's rib and then to penetrate 3 sheets and go so deep in the bale. It's real plywood, not the chip board - note the ends and grain showing 6 entrance holes.

Forgot to add; Just a Carbon Express insert and the 100 gr Braxe

Pic is of 03/18/2010
Looks like your getting excellent penetration with that fixed head. Pretty safe to say that if it goes through three sheet of plywood it will probably go through a deer no problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts