Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys that are into FOC builds. Would you shoot a 423 grain arrow with 27% FOC or a 505 grain arrow with around 19-20% FOC? I think FOC trumps weight with less FOC but looking for other opinions.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
i like the one closer to 500gr. you must have a really short draw? i find the 15-19% to be my sweet spot

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i have a short draw at 26.5 and it helps me increase FOC dramatically

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
65lbs

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
for deer I would go with the 423 gr in a heartbeat ....

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I got too re run my numbers, something ain't adding up with my setup compared too yours, I can't even come close too throwing that weight with my dna's and I have a longer draw and only 3# less draw weight.

At 425 my me and momentum start going down due too arrow weight cutting into arrow speed too much.

Not hating just need too re run some numbers on my setup and see if I'm getting the correct info.

And too answer your question I would go with the lighter arrow with the higher foc.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Listen to Ed. He shoots heavy arrows out of a hooter shooter.

The fear of pin gaps and inability to estimate yardage that may cause a miss keeps many in the light arrows with 10% FOC and then we get "I can't find my deer" threads.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The heavier arrow will be a tapered arrow as well versus the lighter arrow being a parallel shaft arrow. I am understanding that a tapered shaft loses less speed than a parallel shaft

1 - 12 of 12 Posts