Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing around with some arrows today. I was looking at Foc & weight, then I got to thinking about speed & penetration. So I got a brand new styrofoam block that measures
10”x10”x24”, I use these for my targets. I get them for free & shoot both field points & broad heads in them. When they get wore out I just throw them away.

Here’s what I come up with:
Creed Xs
70#
29”

Arrow #1
Black Eagle Carnivore
27.25” ctc
417gr
19.7% FOC
286fps
Ke 75.6
Mo .529
Penetration 17 5/16”

Arrow #2
Beman Ics Hunter
29” ctc
537gr
17.4% FOC
255fps
Ke 77.4
Mo .607
Penetration 17 9/16”

I know this is no scientific test but I was kinda taken back by the amount of penetration difference between the arrows. The heavy arrow is 120gr difference, I was thinking it would out penetrate the lighter arrow by quite a bit. My next test is gonna shoot at 60yrds & see penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
All you've identified is what is already well established - that a heavy arrow will out penetrate a light arrow. Also a styrofoam block is a very poor mediam for peneteration. You also need to reduce as many variables as possible and ensure that the arrows are also same shaft diametre and same length. I don't think "Myth Busters" will be knocking on your door any time soon...LOL...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand what your saying Johnno, I was just bored wasn’t trying to bust any myths. But I just suspected that the heavy arrow would put penetrate the lighter one by more than 1/4” at 20yrds using my crappie test medium.

With that being said went to 60yrds. The lighter arrow out penetrated the heavy arrow by a little more than 1/2”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hunter of many things
12,126 Posts
If you have a micro arrow, try that and see how it compares.

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
712 Posts
Try testing a heavy arrow 600 grains or more, 537 is not really heavy, just saying hate me if you want .

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Tuning has a lot to do with penetration also. Probably magnified in foam since it is so hard. Almost impossible to guarantee 2 arrows are both perfectly tuned through the same bow with the same setup and had equal “penetration potential”

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Go get a cardboard box. Needs to be 30” at least in length. Fill it full of sand. Then run your test.

Reactions: Jkelly and JSTTH5US

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Your results match perfectly with every known physics and test on every media recorded.

add 100g to the black Eagle up front and increase foc with it and it will dive even Deeper.

where the mass is often beats how much mass. Naturally you can over compensate and beat either one. Intercepting vertices and such.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

·
The Impartial Archer
18,310 Posts
Great waste of time..........foam is useless for testing penetration. Good luck with your unreliable results.

Reactions: enewman

·
The Impartial Archer
18,310 Posts
Micro going to kick some butt tomorrow.
Of course it will in FOAM.........lol. So take a 350 grain light micro diameter arrow and then a 23/64th aluminum and the micro will do WAY better. Then go shoot and Elk and watch that totally reverse. That's why these back yard tests are so bad......they actually confuse people more than they help.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Of course it will in FOAM.........lol. So take a 350 grain light micro diameter arrow and then a 23/64th aluminum and the micro will do WAY better. Then go shoot and Elk and watch that totally reverse. That's why these back yard tests are so bad......they actually confuse people more than they help.
this ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
532 Posts
Y'all are just mean. The OP didn't do anything wrong, he ran a test with what he had - and it was consistent arrow to arrow so there is useful info to be gleaned. So what if it's Styrofoam. Why is that worse than gel or sand or whatever? It's an apples to apples comparison. No one is making you read this.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts