Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to shoot my first ASA tournament coming up at Foley. I’ve never shot a big tournament like this. Can anyone lend some advice about what I need to make the most out of the trip? All I have is a hip quiver at the moment. I was wondering if I needed to invest in a stool? Will there be vendors on location to buy gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’m going to shoot my first ASA tournament coming up at Foley. I’ve never shot a big tournament like this. Can anyone lend some advice about what I need to make the most out of the trip? All I have is a hip quiver at the moment. I was wondering if I needed to invest in a stool? Will there be vendors on location to buy gear?

You'll be on the range 3-4 hours at a time. A stool is nice to have to keep your legs rested. But not absolutely necessary. Just about every vendor will be there selling stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I would recommend a stool and go in with the mindset that it will take 3-4 hrs to shoot 20 arrows and don't let this get in your head. A lot of guys get frustrated because it takes so long to shoot but it doesn't bother me one bit. Another thing is just go and have fun.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Like the others have said...it takes longer to shoot than a local tournament...take advantage of the Team shoots (good practice) and shoot the Simms Known...lots of fun, visit the vendors, buy some stuff you probably wont use all season, and above all, have fun! That's what these shoots are all about, meet some new people, discuss equipment with them, and enjoy yourself...its very addicting!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Prepare for all types of weather. Could be cool, cold, warm-ish, raining, or dry. Definitely pack some boots for mud, etc. Being from Alabama myself I know the weather can change in 30 minutes one way or the other. I actually wait to register when I get there because of the rain. I don't like shooting in the rain personally so I watch the weather in the days leading up closely. If it looks like rain, I don't go. That's just me. There are no rain refunds, etc. If it's sunny and dry you shoot. If it's rainy and cold, you shoot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I second the boots with good insoles. It is a long walk to the back ranges if you don't catch the trolley. The first event you will spend a ton of money the more you go to the less you spend. It goes from a ton to just pretty heavy.

·
Socket Man
23,756 Posts
Get a stool at the Lancaster booth, they are tough and get the job done.

You must have some water proof boots because any r ain even weeks before can cause major mud issues.

Look in this 3d archery section and there are threads where I outline how we do things for the weekend.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you can swing it. Shoot team shoot it's great practice and you can shoot with other high level shooters. It's what I use as 1st day practice. Team then 1st round right after

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any advice on how best to prepare for known 40? I don't have any ranges close to me. I've got 3 deer set up in the yard at 20,30, & 40. All I know to do is just get out there and drill as many arrows as possible. Right now due to cold I'm shooting 2-3 Vegas rounds a day inside the house.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's all you can do is shoot shoot then shoot some more. Spots are great for aiming and holding for practice but nothing is as good as shooting 3d targets.
Be sure to bring binos Range Finder. I can't tell you how many people don't. Range cards are not accurate and yoirs will be to your bow.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
If you are shooting known yardage verify sight tape over several days.
A verified sight tape is a must and set up with your own rangefinder also.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Learn the targets by that I mean learn where the 12 ring is and how and where to hold on it...along with everything everybody else has said

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great advice as to learning the targets. Shoot your targets at home pull the arrows and throw them. Where they land range target then reshoot. Get your sight tape very accurate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Prepare your equipment the best you can, you don't a breakdown to ruin your weekend. Then go out and have fun your first shoot can be overwhelming, there are people and venders everywhere you can buy archery things you didn't know existed. Like someone else said the practice range is money well spent if you have the time it can definitely take a while.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you plan on shooting practice range get there at least 3 hrs before your shoot. That's the reason I shoot team it's organized and gets you in the competitive flow.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Bring boots for sure. Last year Foley was a mud fest. If they put the ranges in the same places as last year, your K40 ranges will be the further most two ranges from the parking area. They did have running shuttle trailers/tractors for shooters but they fill up fast, as the space is limited. I'm not complaining, I'm just giving the heads up that you may want to start towards the ranges a good 30-45 mins before your shooting times in case you have to hoof it there. From the field we parked in, to the start of the ranges we shot for K40, was 1 mile exactly, one way. The terrain down there is flat. No hills really to speak of, and the area they had the ranges in was an area they had cut the timber off of....lots of thick low to the ground cover. So if it's sunny, expect a lot of glare from your lens if you shoot one, or bring an umbrella to help block it.

K40 is usually a very large class. It always take super high scores to get within striking distance of the podium. Just practice course management....know when to shoot for 12s and when to play it safe. If you shoot local 3D shoots, you are probably more accustomed to always shooting for lower 12s. Keep in mind you may get in a group with 4 or 5 other shooters, and almost all of them will be gunning for that lower 12 first, and once it fills up, the only safe call is to go for the upper. It would be a good idea to start getting some practice in on your local courses by calling for, and shooting at the upper 12. I've shot with groups of people that some of the guys NEVER even attempted an upper 12 the whole tournament.

The big attractions in that area...everybody takes off to the beach. You can go visit Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. Go fish off the pier, etc. For eating, Lamberts is always super popular with shooters when they come to Foley. Very good food. If you leave there hungry, something is wrong with you. There's tons of sea food joints in the area. I'm not big on sea food but it's there if you are the type that likes it. For at least one meal for the best steak you'll ever eat...go to Orange Beach to Big Mikes. Get the Ribeye. I'm 9 hours drive from there and some days it's tempting to just hop in the truck and head down there on the weekend when I get a craving for a big steak. I've not done that yet but it would be worth the trip.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bring boots for sure. Last year Foley was a mud fest. If they put the ranges in the same places as last year, your K40 ranges will be the further most two ranges from the parking area. They did have running shuttle trailers/tractors for shooters but they fill up fast, as the space is limited. I'm not complaining, I'm just giving the heads up that you may want to start towards the ranges a good 30-45 mins before your shooting times in case you have to hoof it there. From the field we parked in, to the start of the ranges we shot for K40, was 1 mile exactly, one way. The terrain down there is flat. No hills really to speak of, and the area they had the ranges in was an area they had cut the timber off of....lots of thick low to the ground cover. So if it's sunny, expect a lot of glare from your lens if you shoot one, or bring an umbrella to help block it.

K40 is usually a very large class. It always take super high scores to get within striking distance of the podium. Just practice course management....know when to shoot for 12s and when to play it safe. If you shoot local 3D shoots, you are probably more accustomed to always shooting for lower 12s. Keep in mind you may get in a group with 4 or 5 other shooters, and almost all of them will be gunning for that lower 12 first, and once it fills up, the only safe call is to go for the upper. It would be a good idea to start getting some practice in on your local courses by calling for, and shooting at the upper 12. I've shot with groups of people that some of the guys NEVER even attempted an upper 12 the whole tournament.

The big attractions in that area...everybody takes off to the beach. You can go visit Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. Go fish off the pier, etc. For eating, Lamberts is always super popular with shooters when they come to Foley. Very good food. If you leave there hungry, something is wrong with you. There's tons of sea food joints in the area. I'm not big on sea food but it's there if you are the type that likes it. For at least one meal for the best steak you'll ever eat...go to Orange Beach to Big Mikes. Get the Ribeye. I'm 9 hours drive from there and some days it's tempting to just hop in the truck and head down there on the weekend when I get a craving for a big steak. I've not done that yet but it would be worth the trip.
Thanks for the tips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts