Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does follow through come with time? I find myself looking to see where the arrow is hitting. I start off shooting with no target to work on my form. Will this method also help with follow through? Any input will be Greatly Appreciated...

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you never know when your release will fire, you cannot help but have follow-through.

·
WV Archery Association
159 Posts
follow through

I believe your follow through is a continuation of your aiming. if you hold your aim, you will hold your form = follow through...

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
just my thoughts

As good and pure as the release must be to crush the x ring, the arrow still must travel from the string over the rest, which is held by your bow hand, even though it is a split second going over the rest, it is a strong follow through that can make a weak release still cut the x line. I use both eyes when I shoot, so I am staring at the x until I see the arrow hit it.Consciously say it, do it enough and your subconscious will dot it for you. just my thoughts:wink:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Your shot should have a follow through to a conclusion. Pick something that can only occur after the arrow has cleared the bow. Some use touching their shoulder with their release hand. Others use the sound of the arrow hitting the target. There are many things that you can use as a conclusion to your shot. The only requirement is that the arrow gets clear of the bow before it happens.

If you hold your form and follow through to your conclusion, it will prevent collapsing too quickly. If you don't have a conclusion, you tend to quit on the shot sooner and sooner until you are collapsing at the same time or before the arrow is released.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Follow-thru's are a natural occuring event. This is in anything. You can either let it happen or suppress it. I wrote something on this last year I think. Anyway, as you shoot do not try to control what happens when the shot breaks, just let it occur. Watch any top shooter and you will see they do not try to manipulate the bow at all once the shot breaks.

·
Lou & Jode
10,783 Posts
Never break form and look for your arrows impact,never break form to over controll the pin through the shot-let the bow shoot,make it a point to continue to focus on the spot you want to hit even after the release.Your mind knows where the pin is subconsciously-all you have to do is focus on the spot and make a good exicution and your built in auto pilot will follow through for you.Over aiming and,or over controlling pin movement get in the way of exicuting a relaxed solid shot.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You should allow yourself a combination of "good" form and comfort. Most of the movements before the shot don't matter too much. The fraction of the moment before and during the release does. Just relax and shoot often with good disapline and the follow-thru will be natural, like already said by RobVos. My moto is "if it ain't fun, it don't get done." Feel free to make tee shirts.:wink:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My opinion, follow through is not natural, and it is not consistent unless you practice to develop it. I back this up by reference to discussion on this in: Idiot Proof Archery.

To be consistent in form, and follow through is this, you need to work on it so it is ingrained in your sequence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts