Archery Talk Forum banner

Food plot help for a beginner

300 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Shufigo
I currently have rights to hunt on 80 acres on a farm. There are no leases in the area that I can afford and this cost me nothing but comes with some drawbacks. It's probably about 20 acres woods and 60 acres fields with the woods being scattered throughout. Where I have my favorite stand is about 100 yards from a pond overlooking about a one acre opening. I would like to grow something in the one acre but the main problem I have is no farm equipment to disc or anything. I do have a feed but I would rather use a plot to better help the deer diet. Is there anything I can grow by just spreading seed on the ground and have decent results with growth? Also, another draw back is there is some cattle on the farm so I don't know if it would be worth it or not to try and grow anything. From what I've noticed they are not in this location very much. Thanks in any help I can get.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· I am my own affliction
2,606 Posts
You probably won't have much success unless you can keep cattle off of it. If you can do that, maybe take a pump sprayer of roundup and spray it. Then 10 days later go back and sow clover. You should get some results even without equipment.

· Registered
65 Posts
QDMA site

Suggest you go over to the QDMA site and post the same question in their food plot forum. The chances are excellent you'll get a lot of responses from people who have faced similar problems - and probably some from your neck of the woods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.