Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas we're looking to get our plot planted next weekend (7/25) I know its late but we've had alot going on. What type of plant would be the best to plant around this time of year so its nice & green for Sept/Oct/Nov (barring snow).

Thanks.

·
Registered
755 Posts
hmm im not sure how much rain you are getting around there but you might wannna make sure there is rain in the forecast but you could plant clover (although Ive heard people do it in mid to late august or spring) which the deer will like until the first few cold nights start to kill it, or you could plant some brassicas or you could plant some winter rye but I believe you are supposed to plant that within a month of the temps dropping so it doesnt burn out

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
next weekend (7/25) I know its late.
That is not late....It is early if anything. It is drier than the desert right now. We need some rain, and then we need rain after you plant. I like to put my annuals in around the 2nd week of august. I have put them in as late as the last week of august and they came up great. I would put in some type of grain/barrasica mix. Some examples would be Biologic Green Patch Plus(my favorite) and Whitetail Institute Pure Attraction. The grains(wheat and/or oats) come up fast and give you good early season hunting. The bassicas(turnups, rape, kale, etc) give you tons of food per acre and after a good frost the deer will shread you plot. You can get Green Patch Plus at Wally World for like $10 a bag. I usually get a bag of Green Patch Plus and a bag of Shot Plot. I will throw around a little Shot Plot just to give my plot a little more barrasicas. Dont add too much though. Those seeds are tiny and a little goes a long way. I usually seed my plots (1/4 acres) with Green Patch Plus, then take a couple handfuls of Shot Plot and throw em around.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I like to use clover and chicory for the early season. I started planting some peas this year to my plot. It is drier than normal so make sure you have your ph level checked and pray for rain and plant then.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would say brassicas(i use whitetail institute Wintergreens) would be a good thing if you want some food for after the frost. They dont touch it overly hard until the frost, so you get plenty of growing time.

I just planted antlerking red zone yesterday in hopes to have some nice green peas by october one. Deer love Peas in my area.

you should have time to get clover going at this point too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
A good friend has sugar beets and turnips planted not sure how hes going to do with it...but the sugar beets make sense

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you try planting clover this fall, you will probably not have a good yield. Clover is very pickey, so all you ducks have to be in a row(ph, fert, moisture). Another thing you have to remember about clover is that it is a perennial. Perennials have to be maintainted(mowing, weed control). While it is very fun to maintain food plots year round, most people dont have the time or equipment. You cannot just plant clover one year and expect to do nothing after that. I have seen many people spend tons of money on planting clover, and then never do the yearly maintaince it takes to keep it going. Clover is a legume just like alfalfa, so it must be mowed. If you are doing just small hunting plots, I think annuals are the way to go. Most annual varieties are very hardy(they are very tolerant to drought and acidic soils). You dont have to worry about weed control( as long as you take care of the weeds em before you plant). They are truly a plant em and forget em (maybey a fertilizer treatment is all you would have to do after the initial planting). Another nice thing about annuals is that if you dont like the spot, plant somewhere else next year. You seen my favs in my previous post. If you wanna do clover, wait till spring.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
For the whole season I would plant Oats and Brassicas/Rape/Turnips together. Be careful not to plant too much of the Brassicas. Does not take much to grow alot. Plant the oats first(cover 1-2" of dirt) and top dress the field with fertilizer and the brassicas(small seeds) mixed. It will help you from putting too much on.

The oats will do well until it gets down in the teens and then it is time for the brassicas.

With the cool summer, it is ok to plant if your ground has enough moisture to disc it up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Forget about the weather and just plant, ask any farmer. I would try to plant a brassica mix. you can buy the expensive kind or just brown bag it from the co-op or online stores. Lots of on-line stores ship by the pound. If it was me I would plant 10% purple tops, 20% Barkant turnip, 30% Rangi rape, 30% Barsica rape and 10% kale if you can find it. I wouldn't go any heavier than 6-7 lbs per acre. 300lbs of tripe 19/acre. Now if you have a total failure, which I doubt, then spray real quick in late August/early sept and plant oats,/rye/ww combo. Never had either failed me. Planted brassica Aug 7 and never got rain till Aug 23 and came up good. Check qdma forums there are real brassica experts their and can direct you better than me.

·
Bettering the last.....
5,780 Posts
go to the michigansportsmansforums...... i live in ny and hang there for food plot info. qdma is also invaluable

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You people rock around here, anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like to use clover and chicory for the early season. I started planting some peas this year to my plot. It is drier than normal so make sure you have your ph level checked and pray for rain and plant then.
Yep what he said. I really like chicory.

·
Registered
2007 BEAR INSTINCT
5,740 Posts
i can't believe how many more deer or how many i'm seeing in the soybean fields this year. In west michigan (kalamazoo/plainwell area) there everywhere!

I'm seeing more velvet this year also, i'm pretty pumped up!

i will arrow one and break in my Martin Bengal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts