Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased 150 acres this year and will be putting in a few food plots starting in the spring. I have 5 locations picked out for potential plots. Not sure if I will use them all or not. They range from 1-2 acres in size. Clover is the most obvious choice for at least 1 or 2 of them, but what else should I consider?

I currently have 7 acres in tillable and that (along with ag around me) will be in beans/corn.

The rest of the ground is thick CRP, mature timber, and plenty of water.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I’ ve found you need to experiment and let the deer decide. If you hunt late season, for sure do at least one field of brassicas. It may take a couple years for them to learn they’re food, but after that its a sure thing.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Rye, Oats, Wheat, Brassicas, Clover, Corn, Beans, Peas, Sunflowers.... I put it all down and it all gets eaten at some point. The question is how much and how to lay it out, and for what time of year?? Its a chess game! A fun one!

Enjoy!

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
I'm gonna try to plant some beans on my primary farm next year. I know deer eat em, and love em, and if there's 10-14" of snow on the ground, guess what's gone be easy to browse on?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I’ve been planting buckwheat in the spring and did corn, beans, PowerPlant and brassicas.

After this season - next year will be buckwheat everywhere in spring and all brassicas for fall. Strategy to have food for November and afterwards when there is nothing else on neighboring property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
For early season plant soy beans In the summer so they are still green for the opening week or 2. After that the beans are a favorite late season food. The late season stuff usually does not last long on a 1 or 2 acre plot up here in MN or WI when the temps fall through the floor. Deer will destroy those late season foods quickly.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've had success putting wheat, oats, and clover in a plot about 1/2 acre in size to compete with the surrounding ag fields. When the bean foliage starts to turn yellow and not palatable, but before the corn starts to harden and become more desirable to the deer, my plot would get hammered at all hours of the day pending cooler temps. Have to find the stuff that's different and tastier than what's available in the ag fields.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
If you already have 7 acres in beans/corn, I would do the rest of those small kill plots in peas, oats, rye and clover.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My property is low lying river bottoms so perennial plots are not something I can invest in .... I stick with radishes and turnips for mine. I did add austrian winter peas this year because one of the plots needed to be reseeded late and I was worried about production.

2 different plots that are each 2-3 acres in size. I have the luxury of having incredible deer density and on any given fall / winter day a person can see 30-40 deer using my plots.

I have nearly 200 acres of WRP ground surrounded by ag ground and broken woodlots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts