Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted a thread awhile back asking what you would recommend I plant in my new food plot. I have 60 acres of beans/wheat which takes up all my open fields, so I decided to cut out a section and plant some goodies to keep the whitetails on my land once their main food source is gone (beans).

I originally planned on the plot being 1.25-1.5 acres, but once we started cutting the area got bigger and bigger. It is now going to be between 2-2.5 acres depending on how much we plant around the edges. As you can see in the pics, we still have a lot of work to do. The plot is very secluded and driving a bobcat/dozer/backhoe out there would take a long time so we are going to have to wait until the wheat is harvest to get back there and get the job done. Shooting to plant around early/mid August. Still would love to have feedback on what to plant so if you have suggestions feel free to comment. As of right night I am leaning towards Imperial Clover, but I might divide the plot into sections. The plot is approx 70 x 160 yards so breaking it up might be the thing to do.

Thanks for the input.

user49240_pic20423_1239853254.jpg

FieldMap.jpg

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
looks awesome!! i would split the field....put a big plot of turnips in the center surrounded by a clover mix

that will provide good food year round

·
Registered
793 Posts
and if you need help keeping those pesky corn rats out of your plot i am always game :wink:

Looks like you have a great piece of property to hunt. . .very jealous!

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and if you need help keeping those pesky corn rats out of your plot i am always game :wink:

Looks like you have a great piece of property to hunt. . .very jealous!
Thank you, very lucky to have it. Family owned for years...got a naval base as a border on 2 sides and it is at the end of a dead end road, very lucky and thankful. Been grooming it for a few years and finally starting to see results.

I'll keep you in mind if I get overpopulated down here! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Wow!! you are going to be pulling in some nice deer with that setup! I dont know sh/t about food plots to help but im sure someone will comment who has more knowledge than i.

Infinity grass is doing very well here in Minnesota for a few freinds of mine. Only need to plant it once and let r buck! :thumbs_up

Good luck this season!

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told oats, clover, turnips...these are the leading 3.

The farmer isn't planting the beans until mid July, so that should still be a strong food source throughout October. This is the first year for wheat, he usually just plants beans in Mar or so and they are dead by opening day, Oct 1.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll keep you in mind if I get overpopulated down here! :thumbs_up
Wow that is awfully nice! I may just have to keep reminding you. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
That looks great!! You will have to post progress pics and then trail cam pic's of the deer mowing it for you :wink:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have been told oats, clover, turnips...these are the leading 3.

The farmer isn't planting the beans until mid July, so that should still be a strong food source throughout October. This is the first year for wheat, he usually just plants beans in Mar or so and they are dead by opening day, Oct 1.
I've been doing food plots for about 10 years now...Whenever anyone asks me what to plant, I ask them what they want to accomplish.

Perennials - clover(for more moist soil lower lying plots) alfalfa( for dryer soil higher lying plots) chicory- are more nutritional, higher protein plots for fawning, doe milk production, body size and antler growth...not really kill or shot plots...although they will graze when passing through them until they go dormant. Gotta keep em mowed or they'll go dormant once flowers produce seeds....takes a little maintenance.

Annuals - Turnip, Rape are great late season shot plots as after a couple of hard frosts the starches in the plant turn to sugar and the deer love em...here in Illinois they're not effective until usually sometime after Thanksgiving. When it s cold with alot of snow on the ground and its tough for the deer to get to row crop spilage and acorns, the turnip and rape stay green and tall above the snow making it easy for the deer to feed on without having to expel the energy to "dig out or paw through" several inches of snow! But I've had a couple of years with little snow, mild temps and huge mast crops and the deer didn't touch the brassicas (turnip/rape). But usually you can't keep em out of it. Remember, annuals ya got to replant every year.

I usually mix in with my turnips and rape,... winter wheat, iron/clay peas,austrian peas, cow peas to get em in to the plot and get comfortable coming in to the plot as they feed on these in late september into October.

I'd do 2/3rds of your plot in clover or alfalfa, and do the other 1/3rd in turnip and rape...I'd plant the turnip and rape in the best part of the field for stand placement with whatever prevailing wind you get in your part of the country late season.

Good luck...food plots are lots of fun especially when ya reap the horns of your labor....feel free to pm me if ya want any more info!

Here's a couple I shot late season in my turnip/rape plots:
PICT0092.jpg
12-26-07
PICT0152.jpg
12-15-08
PICT0045 a.jpg
12-16-05

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been doing food plots for about 10 years now...Whenever anyone asks me what to plant, I ask them what they want to accomplish.

Perennials - clover(for more moist soil lower lying plots) alfalfa( for dryer soil higher lying plots) chicory- are more nutritional, higher protein plots for fawning, doe milk production, body size and antler growth...not really kill or shot plots...although they will graze when passing through them until they go dormant. Gotta keep em mowed or they'll go dormant once flowers produce seeds....takes a little maintenance.

Annuals - Turnip, Rape are great late season shot plots as after a couple of hard frosts the starches in the plant turn to sugar and the deer love em...here in Illinois they're not effective until usually sometime after Thanksgiving. When it s cold with alot of snow on the ground and its tough for the deer to get to row crop spilage and acorns, the turnip and rape stay green and tall above the snow making it easy for the deer to feed on without having to expel the energy to "dig out or paw through" several inches of snow! But I've had a couple of years with little snow, mild temps and huge mast crops and the deer didn't touch the brassicas (turnip/rape). But usually you can't keep em out of it. Remember, annuals ya got to replant every year.

I usually mix in with my turnips and rape,... winter wheat, iron/clay peas,austrian peas, cow peas to get em in to the plot and get comfortable coming in to the plot as they feed on these in late september into October.

I'd do 2/3rds of your plot in clover or alfalfa, and do the other 1/3rd in turnip and rape...I'd plant the turnip and rape in the best part of the field for stand placement with whatever prevailing wind you get in your part of the country late season.

Good luck...food plots are lots of fun especially when ya reap the horns of your labor....feel free to pm me if ya want any more info!
GREAT INFORMATION!

I'll PM you...

DH

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE! Here is my 2+ acre plot now! As you can see I dug up all but about6 stumps and spread 18 tons of lime...yes 18 tons. We ran a tiller, disc, and leveler over the whole thing and it has been a lot of work but I couldn't be happier. Decided that I am just going to plan a few annuals this year since the lime won't have time to truely take effect, and then next year I will plant the good stuff. Enjoy

Oh and feel free to give me some good annual ideas!

Food Plot 2.jpg

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
here is what i suggest.

turnips in part of it, and the rest a mix of clover and chicory.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Food Plotts

UPDATE! Here is my 2+ acre plot now! As you can see I dug up all but about6 stumps and spread 18 tons of lime...yes 18 tons. We ran a tiller, disc, and leveler over the whole thing and it has been a lot of work but I couldn't be happier. Decided that I am just going to plan a few annuals this year since the lime won't have time to truely take effect, and then next year I will plant the good stuff. Enjoy

Oh and feel free to give me some good annual ideas!

View attachment 602435
Agree with what has been written here and it looks GREAT!!! I like the turnip and Imperial White Tail clover with chicory if chicory does well in your area..Good Luck and please keep us up to date as it grows and you harvest.:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
166 Posts
We planted a mixture of iron clay peas, miniature and large soy bean and small sunflower in several plots 2 weeks ago. Three of the plots have survived and are maturing, the main plots are mowed to the ground... they love the stuff!!! The mix is called Spring Forward and can be found at www.wannamakerseeds.com in SC. We added the Large soy bean to thin the mix since it is cheap around here (1- 80# bag to every 2 - 80# bags of the Spring Forward). We've been using this for years with good success.
I'm glad to see other people learning that it isn't all about the hunt.Your plot looks great... keep up the good work and good luck this season!!!See the pics:

Attachments

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the great advice! I am really looking forward to seeing how they react to it. I am shooting for a mid-August plant. Leaning towards turnips and some buck oats. Might throw some other stuff in there too just to see what they like best for this season. I just hate to spend a lot MORE money if only 30% geminate! I will keep you all posted. Been seeing some great bucks in my fields, hopefully they will get stuck this fall!

DH32

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would go with http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=51 and http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=50 mix in some http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=50

You can do what ever you like but the clover will keep them coming in all year. Our clover last year got hammered during a heavy snow that stayed on for 6 weeks. We had every deer for a mile coming to it. The chicory will do really well in the summer stretch (now) when it can get dry for a while. The chicory really gives does milk production an extra kick if there is a drought.
I am from farm country in NW Ohio and I have tried for 4 years in a row to get deer to eat turnips, rape, or beets and they will not touch the stuff. Give them winter wheat, clover, beans or corn and you have something.
Life is busy for everyone and tilling, planting, fertilizing annual food plots is fun and rewarding but time consuming.
After a few seasons of the white clover you could try alfalfa http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=18 it comes up earlier in the spring to get that much needed protein and nutrients to the pregnant does. But I would not start your plot on alfalfa do to the cost and your ground might need a few years to be ready for it.
All that being said do what you feel is best for you and your deer herd and have fun looks like you have a beautiful place. Best of luck!

By the way I don't work for Welter seed I was referred there. They are a great group of people with outstanding costumer service.

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would go with http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=51 and http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=50 mix in some http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=50

You can do what ever you like but the clover will keep them coming in all year. Our clover last year got hammered during a heavy snow that stayed on for 6 weeks. We had every deer for a mile coming to it. The chicory will do really well in the summer stretch (now) when it can get dry for a while. The chicory really gives does milk production an extra kick if there is a drought.
I am from farm country in NW Ohio and I have tried for 4 years in a row to get deer to eat turnips, rape, or beets and they will not touch the stuff. Give them winter wheat, clover, beans or corn and you have something.
Life is busy for everyone and tilling, planting, fertilizing annual food plots is fun and rewarding but time consuming.
After a few seasons of the white clover you could try alfalfa http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=18 it comes up earlier in the spring to get that much needed protein and nutrients to the pregnant does. But I would not start your plot on alfalfa do to the cost and your ground might need a few years to be ready for it.
All that being said do what you feel is best for you and your deer herd and have fun looks like you have a beautiful place. Best of luck!

By the way I don't work for Welter seed I was referred there. They are a great group of people with outstanding costumer service.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts