Archery Talk Forum banner

Food plots to plant now?

730 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  hntnksn
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of clearing some land in my woods for a food plot. My property boarders a state park, and is surrounded by a lot of corn fields. I am clearing roughly a 60 x 30 yard area right by a small stream. Deer already seem to frequent the area, but it could be a lot more consistent. I am looking to plant something within the next month that will get the deer moving through consistently throughout the summer. I also want something that will last through the rut. I kind of have a feeling that I am asking a lot to have a food plot last that long. I am willing to replant in the early fall if need be.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,586 Posts
i would plant it full of jumbo white clover. i planted some and the deer were still pounding it into late febuary, even though it had already stopped growing. it will get about 18"-24" high and there is no need to spray it after it is planted. if you mow it a couple times it will be the only thing left in the plot.

· Registered
960 Posts
Clover and chicory will work if you get it in pretty quick. Lab lab, soybeans and corn you can plant in about a month.

· Registered
5,367 Posts
i would plant it full of jumbo white clover. i planted some and the deer were still pounding it into late febuary, even though it had already stopped growing. it will get about 18"-24" high and there is no need to spray it after it is planted. if you mow it a couple times it will be the only thing left in the plot.
+1...i would go with strictly white clover. Mow it at least twice a year. Just nip the tops off, dont scalp it too short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.