Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What types of food do you guys take when siting dark to dark? After 25 years of Bow hunting I've graduated from the basic candy/snacks/sandwiches to DIY MRE style meals. I've even used the FRH (water activated meal heaters) while 30 feet up in a tree. On the really cold days, a hot lunch boosts the morale...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Nuts, trail mix, jerky, PB and honey or PBJ sandwich.

On cold days, I fill my thermos with hot black tea with honey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
What types of food do you guys take when siting dark to dark? After 25 years of Bow hunting I've graduated from the basic candy/snacks/sandwiches to DIY MRE style meals. I've even used the FRH (water activated meal heaters) while 30 feet up in a tree. On the really cold days, a hot lunch boosts the morale...
Thats a good idea may have to look into that when unting on the ground. If i tried it in a stand i would probably drop it 😆

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Cheddar cheese and cold little smokies. Can’t. Be. Beat. Also like trail mix, cliff bars, granola bars, etc. and the always delicious oatmeal cream pie.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats a good idea may have to look into that when unting on the ground. If i tried it in a stand i would probably drop it 😆
To eliminate dropping my stuff (picnic) out of the stand, I cut off the bottom of an old camo t-shirt just below the armpits and stretch it over the front bar of my Summit Viper/Goliath and have an instant table. Lightweight and stores in my backpack taking up very little room.

·
Just Do It.....
30,192 Posts
I use the gsi microlite 1000's, they keep stuff warm. Mix shredded chicken, tuna, black beans, whole grain penne and cheese tortellini and/or oatmeal with ground almonds/walnuts in a second 1000. Packaged tuna is always in my pack with a fork. If I am really burning calories a small jar of natural peanut butter or almond butter.
Basically the same stuff I take to eat @ work.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I keep it pretty basic. Breakfast bars, jerky, trail mix, and some sort of candy. Usually just water to drink unless its cold then I'll bring a thermos of hot apple cider. Normally I find myself picking food based on how noisy it is. I try to unwrap as much as I can ahead of time and bring it to the stand in ziploc baggies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stanley and Thermos both make “food jar” type items where it’s just a short wide mouth thermos with either a spoon connected to the side or a foldable one that stores in the lid. So those work great for warming soup or whatever before heading out and they stay warm for hours. So I do alot of warm foods. Then sip or spoon when I get hungry.I try to make something I can eat without clanking around to forgo the silverware and just sip or throwback some nutrients. But other than that I pack light and basically reward myself with something like a cookie every so often so I have something I know I’ll be seeing consistently and it breaks up the slow days a bit and allows me to refocus.

·
The Impartial Archer
17,457 Posts
Water. I go all day a lot without eating.....it's actually good for you once in a while.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Marky's Beluga Caviar (Huso Huso) a staple for me while on stand Eating the finest foods while on stand keeps you sharp and can be the difference in tagging that trophy or going home with nothing. Two or three 35 oz tins usually last me through the entire season.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I Grubhub in some spicy Thai food, gets my senses really fired up as well as my IBS.

but that was so yesterday. Anymore I pack some trail mix and a couple waters.

·
Comfort snob/elitist
2,965 Posts
I have hypoglycemia so I always have to have snacks with me. Early season I'll have a few nutra grain bars and a granola bar or two and of course water. During all day sits I'll have 2 pb&j sandwiches, and a few nutra grain bars. If its going to be cold, I'll bring a small thermos of coffee too. its a moral booster having hot coffee when its in the single digits and a below zero windchill!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I make a few pounds of jerky before the season starts and I take a few pieces on every hunt. Summer sausage and cheese is also nice if I don't have time to make jerky.

PB&J sammies are great for filling you up, being quick and quiet to eat, and cheap/easy to make.

For me a big key is eating a good breakfast before leaving the house. This also keeps me warm and awake in the stand for all day sits during the rut. I can usually get by on a PB&J and a few hunks of jerky for an all day sit no problem.

·
Slinging Arrows
671 Posts
I like the MRE idea. I need to get some. I usually pack PB&J with water or gatorade and protein bars.

Reactions: JSTTH5US

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I’m a huge pbj fan. I’ll usually steel my kids, the ones that are frozen and already made. They thaw out by the time I’m hungry and are perfect temperature.

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy, Reign 6
1,768 Posts
You guys are amateurs. Take some taco bell with you. Buy the night before and refrigerate it. Be sure to get plenty of fire sauce...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts