Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting a bow, to me, is similar to shooting a rifle. You rest the stock in your hand, not grip it, breathing, sighting, light squeeze...... What about foot placement? I usually shoot with them shoulder length apart at a slight 45 degree angle. I distribute my weight 50/50. What is the best foot placement, parallel, perpendicular, angled, and weight distribution? My height on target is good, however I drift left and right. Is this a matter of building up front arm strength or something else?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Scott - see me at the range for this and I can help you out with some drills to determine YOUR best foot placement. Foot placement is a personal issue that takes some time to determine.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
foot placement is very important...as it aling your hips to the target which aling your shoulders to the target, we most generally align our shoulders with our hips and our hips to our foot placement...so getting proper foot placement is a must and no one can determine it for you, but i would take this guy up on his offer as there are a couple ways of determing what works best for you!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
502 Posts
Left right drift

I tried everything to including playing with my foot placement to get rid of left-right misses. finally shortened my draw length. went from 294-297 to 300 45-50X overnight. What a difference

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
foot placement is very important...as it aling your hips to the target which aling your shoulders to the target, we most generally align our shoulders with our hips and our hips to our foot placement...so getting proper foot placement is a must and no one can determine it for you, but i would take this guy up on his offer as there are a couple ways of determing what works best for you!:thumbs_up
+1
I seem to shoot better with a slightly open stance.

Lien2

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Here's a trick I read somewhere (Larry Wise book perhaps?)

Stand with your feet lined up with the target in usual rifle shooter posture, shoulder width apart. Draw your bow and aim at the target. Now, close your eyes and hold it at full draw for 5-10 seconds. Now, when you open your eyes, are you still on target? Or did you drift left or right? Repeat the test a few times. That should give you some indication of where your feet naturally want to align and you can open or close your stance accordingly.

Some feel that your shoulders don't trace a line to the target but rather a bit to one side. If that's true, then an open stance puts your feet directly below your shoulders again.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
If you really really want to get into placement, posture and find out what's happening INSIDE your body when you do this or that, search for this book: Archery Anatomy by Ray Axford.

It's an excellent reference with easy to understand line diagrams.

CHEERS!

·
(aka lug nut)
47,389 Posts
Archery Anatomy is an excellent book.

Getting back to real world test results.

field14 has described how to experiment with this.

Say you are shooting at an indoor range.
Put up a single spot target.

Line up your feet, the usual way.
Have a friend mark the tips of your shoes position on the floor,
with some duct tape. Put a mark on the duct tape,
to location the tips of your shoes.

Now,
get to anchor
and lock onto target.

Now,
with you locked on target,
CLOSE YOUR EYES
and do a slow 3 count

one-one-thousand
two-one-thousand
three-one-thousand....

and then,
with EYES CLOSED,
start your shot process and make the release fire.

Repeat for say a total of 5 arrows.

Look at your arrow point of impact pattern.

Repeat the experiment,
and settle in with eyes OPEN,
and then CLOSE your eyes,
and fire off your shot,
with EYES closed.

First time,
with eyes closed,
your body naturally relaxes,
and will assume the natural "twist"
between upper and lower body.

After your 15th shot,
you will settle into a groove
and into a repeatable pattern,
and you will see where you body WANTS to point,
based on the position of the tips of your shoes.

Then,
it's a simple matter of picking a NEW position for the tips of your shoes
(remember to mark the tips of your shoes location on the duct tape)

and then repeat the experiment...

settle in with EYES open,
and take the shot
with EYES CLOSED.

It takes a couple of tries,
but eventually,
you figure out what NEW position you need
for the tips of your shoes,
to hit the center of the target,
with EYES closed.

Best to do this in an INDOOR range,
and not outdoors,
unless you have a REALLY LARGE backstop
or you do this at closer range than 20 yards.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mike I will. If you can do half to my stance as to what you and Dan did to my bow, I'll be shooting dots. :dance:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I understood him to mean something like \------/ rather than |-----| and 45 degree line to the target. I could be wrong though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts