Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NASP instructor
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the area like around Sidney in Fremont Co. for whitetails? Just found out today that my cousin has a farm there and he's invited me out...let me know what i can expect...

·
Registered
921 Posts
im originally from iowa do a little scouting.and you will be amazed at what you see.i used to use a spotlight to scout a week before seasons opened at the private farms i hunted to see what was in the area.and when i say spotlight i dont mean killing them like that.i use it to find them and see where they are going.but i think you will like what you see.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you go that route...

Leave the gun/bow at the ranch since it's illegal to spot while in possession of any sort of weapon in Iowa. Perhaps just some old fashioned boots on the ground scouting would be in order. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
707 Posts
using a spotlight... DNR says dont even carry a tire iron in your vehicle. DNR takes spotlighting very serious almost to being ridiculous, I dont know if he meant the tire iron thing but I got the point.

The area around Sidney is awesome. I know of guys that hunt that area and pass on 140 class deer in the hopes of getting a big one. Its not like they see 140s everyday, one guy said he saw 5 last year hunting hard but Id like to see 5 in a season. Another passed on a 140 and got a 200. These guys have done their homework, trail cams, scouting, shed hunting so they know what deer are in the area.
Terrain really varies, depending on where it is it if its west 5 miles or so it could be in the loess hills and that is rough ground, not something you walk up you have to climb it. To the east 5 miles or so is the Nishnabotna river area and its flat. In between is rolling ground.

Use Google earth to check it out.

·
State With Little Bucks
12,101 Posts
whats the area like around Sidney in Fremont Co. for whitetails? Just found out today that my cousin has a farm there and he's invited me out...let me know what i can expect...
You'll have to wait at lease 1 or 2 years before you get a tag so IF you can come out a scout it.
Should be some good hunting in that part of the state.

·
Registered
555 Posts
there are no deer in iowa i have hunted it since i have been about knee high!! seems like you are lucky if you go out and see one!! even more lucky if you can kill one!! :laugh: no jk jk all jokes aside i shot a 173" whitetail last year on public land!!(got pics to back it up) i will stop you all before you ask me where or what county!! i shot it in iowa!! it all depends on what he has on his property if he offers the only food source around or the only "safe haven" well.. you may see a number of deer but if it is all the same you will see deer just how many and how big? its iowa a giant is bound to show up any where at anytime during the rut! believe me! one day they will be there the next day the will be gone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts