Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing posts from guys that say "should have switched sooner", or "once you go to a single pin slider you'll never go back to multiple pins". When you guys do a lot of shooting, do you really have to adjust the sight every time you shoot a different distance? Doesn't that get old? I'm thinking that this would irritate me beyond measure. One more added step before every single shot. While hunting, do you always have time to adjust the slider? What if you adjust it, come to full draw, then you don't get a good shot until the animal has changed quite a bit of distance (like 50-20 yards)? What do you do at that point........guess as to where to put the pin?

Just wondering. Sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread from some of you, yet I can't see any advantage at all, except being able to set it at an exact distance and being able to shoot at that exact distance. But I would think that this would be more of a target shooting advantage, rather than a hunting advantage. I mean after all, I keep hearing that animals move after you range them, and even after the shot.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am the opposite, I think once you hunt with a multi pin you should never want to go back. I have a 3 pin spot hogg. they are dead on at 20 - 33 - 45. i shot a big buck this year that was coming right down a trail behind a doe at 25 yds. and about 10 yds before he got to the lane, he jumped up ona higher trail at 40 yds. if i needed to adjust anything i would not have shot him. but... i know if i split my 2nd and 3rd pin, i am dead on at 40. dead deer.

i can't imagine having to worry about an extra moving part??

I did have a slider when i first started bowhunting. never again.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I;ve used both and now I just use a single fixed pin set at 25 yards. but I live on the east coast and hunt thick timber so most shots are 30 yrds and under. if I was out west I proly would use a slider but I see your points as well. its a tough call and guess I'll you can do is try it and if you dont like it go back to what makes you happy. the one thing about archery is there is no right and wrong only what gives you confidence or makes you happy!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Do you really have to adjust for every different distance? Yes for large changes, no for anything within like a 10yd. range.

Doesn't that get old? Nope doesnt get old its more instinctual and a heck of alot more accurate, in my experiences

While hunting, do you always have time to adjust the slider? Sure have, the sight is set at 25yds. and I can shoot anywhere from 0-30yds with no hold over or under

What if you adjust it, come to full draw, then you don't get a good shot until the animal has changed quite a bit of distance (like 50-20 yards)? Never happened and dont expect it to, I know anything can happen, but it takes less than a second to slide the sight into position.

What do you do at that point........guess as to where to put the pin? Nope as I said takes a second to get it adjusted and if you practice different scenarios, like you should with fixed pin sights, you will know where to hold for different distances

In closing a single pin slider sight is not just a target sight, nor does it offer more benefit to target shooters than hunters. The clear sight window, added accuracy, and no messing up pins (most have never done so but just as your above mentioned scenario it could happen) all add undeniable value to the hunter. I liken slider sights to Lacrosse boots, Magnus Buzzcuts, or Molson if youve never tried em you have no idea what all the love is about.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Never happened and dont expect it to, I know anything can happen, but it takes less than a second to slide the sight into position.
At full draw?:confused:

Hunting is a whole 'nother situation, just wouldn't want to be dealing with it in a hunting scenario. But even target shooting........I shoot a lot at the field ranges. Every target is a different distance. I guess if you like moving your sight for every shot, then..........well, OK. But after about the third target, I wouldn't be able to get that sight off my bow quick enough. Are you allowed to use sliders for 3D?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
hunting i set it at 25 yrd. but that's my comfort zone, but while in a tree i also range the outside edge that i would take a shot (35yds) if the conditions are right. that gives me a good working range.and just hold on the deer according to where their at in my zone.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well if your hunting deer from a tree stand then 1 or 2 pins is all you need but theres alot of us ho hunt out west and you need to be able to shoot out to 60 or 80 yards and theres no comparison to a moveable sight if i range the animal to be 52 yards that what i dial it to if the animal moves a little then i will just hold a littlt high or low. but if you have 5 or more pins they just block your view if you ask everyone here that has said they hit a branch they dident see i will be they were useing a multi pin sight and at longer ranges you have to worry about useing the wrong pin. The best spot and stalk western type set up is a CBE sight and a Classic scope hands down.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
At full draw?:confused:

Hunting is a whole 'nother situation, just wouldn't want to be dealing with it in a hunting scenario. But even target shooting........I shoot a lot at the field ranges. Every target is a different distance. I guess if you like moving your sight for every shot, then..........well, OK. But after about the third target, I wouldn't be able to get that sight off my bow quick enough. Are you allowed to use sliders for 3D?
I dont draw on deer at 50yds here in the east so that is not something I can comment on with any type of experience. However there are single pin sliders that can be moved simply and quietly while still at full draw. I can tell you I had to change the slider on a deer earlier this year, and no it did not affect my chances at getting the deer....you just do it instinctualy like drawing, settleing pin, squeezing off the shot, and follow through. As for changing every distance....it takes me less time to change distances (slide sight), draw and shoot than it would for you to draw, choose the pin, and shoot...and thats no joke man it literaly takes a second. Yes I use it for 3D around here, but most of these tourneys are nothing serious and are moreso for fun.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Do you really have to adjust for every different distance? Depends on your shooting style, I especially like to move mine if I have time while hunting and will always dial it in when target ..... I got a buddy that hardly ever moves his if it's under 40yds (target or hunting).

Doesn't that get old? No, it's like anything ... you just get used to it.

While hunting, do you always have time to adjust the slider? No not every time, but most of the time yes. I just set mine at 30yds since I know I'm 3" high @ 20 and about 3" low @40.

What if you adjust it, come to full draw, then you don't get a good shot until the animal has changed quite a bit of distance (like 50-20 yards)? Yep, had that happen ... actually set it for 40 and the doe was at 20 before I got a good angle ..... I knew I was about 6" high set at 40 looking at 20 ..... just compensate.

Don't get me wrong, I like a multi-pin too. My problem is pins get too close together at 10yd intervals and I get a halo effect from the pin brightness (heck I NEVER use the light on my TruGlo's except to block off light from getting to the pin ends to actually darken them). Thus if I've got to seperate a multi-pin into 15yd intervals to get enough seperation, then I'm compensating just like a 'single-pin without time'.

I say try it and see if it's for you. My fiance is new to archery (about 1 - 1.5 years under her now) .... she LOVES a single-pin for shooting ... but this year when the moment came and she didn't compensate enough, she found out she really liked the multi-pin better in a hunting senario b/c it was less she had to think about.

Good Luck !

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I think if all I did was elk hunt I'd stick to a multi pin sight since those things never stand still...But for whitetail hunting a single pin slider is hard to beat. I went back to a slider this year "Sword Centurion" and it's made me a better shot on deer. I leave mine set at 25yds in the stand and if the deer is 30yds or closer I just hold dead on and shoot..If the shot is further I'll range it anyway and then take 1 sec and slide the sight to the correct yardage. It's nice to just have 1 pin to look at when aiming at an animal. I plan to mule deer hunt with a slider this year too.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
hunting i set it at 25 yrd. but that's my comfort zone, but while in a tree i also range the outside edge that i would take a shot (35yds) if the conditions are right. that gives me a good working range.and just hold on the deer according to where their at in my zone.
Exactly how i do it too..I have different yardages maked on my sight from 15-60 yards, but thats just shooting targets, when hunting it stays on 25yards and my shots are within that area..

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The biggest misconception of a single pin is exactly what you said, that when you are at full the animal will move a long distance. I had this exact thing happen the other morning. I had a doe come in to about 13 yd and when she looked up and saw me she spoked to about 33yd (20yd diff.). I had my sight set on 20 yd and, after thousands & thousands of arrows shot in practice, I knew where to hold. She is now in my freezer. Bottom line is, you have to know your equipment, just like with a multi-pin sight. As soon as it gets light enough I range different objects at different yardages so that when I see a deer coming I can usually determine where they are going to step in to a lane. A quick adjustment to the dial and I am ready to go.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I would say,don't buy a single pin sight.Your negative attitude will cause you to sell it anyway.As you know,there are many of us out here using a single pin and have great things to say about them.If you open your mind and give one a fair chance,you will see a lot of your reservations will go away.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
From your response I take it you have never tried a slider?

Do you really have to adjust for every different distance? Set it at 35yds for elk and deer hunting and good from 0-40. After that I will adjust it.

Doesn't that get old? Does hitting exactly where your pin is set at at 53 yrds or 57yds or 76yds get old? Nope!!!

While hunting, do you always have time to adjust the slider? Yup, one time I was drawing back on a do when she was 35 she ran 15yds further out so I held 6inches over her back and arrow went through the lungs. Practice and know where it hits at different yardages.

What do you do at that point........guess as to where to put the pin? Nope as I said takes a second to get it adjusted and if you practice different scenarios, like you should with fixed pin sights, you will know where to hold for different distances.

We do live in America...your free to shoot what you like. I have shot multipins and found them to be a huge hindrance compared to my HHA. My .02

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies. I'll be sticking with my 7-pin sights. The last thing I want to do is "add" another step to my shooting process, even for target shooting. As it is now, by the time I come to full draw, all I see is one pin anyway......the one I need.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll be sticking with my 7-pin sights. The last thing I want to do is "add" another step to my shooting process, even for target shooting. As it is now, by the time I come to full draw, all I see is one pin anyway......the one I need.
Then why not just title the thread as so....my gripe and bias towards single pin sights. Dont show interest or question in something......whenever all your really doing is expressing your bias and misconceptions about it???

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then why not just title the thread as so....my gripe and bias towards single pin sights. Dont show interest or question in something......whenever all your really doing is expressing your bias and misconceptions about it???
I was just looking for answers to my concerns about using a single pin slider, and thanks to those that have answered freely, those concerns have been validated. No need to go out and spend money on something only to find out later that I won't use it. Getting answers to my concerns will help prevent that. Or I could go out and blow a bunch of cash on a sight, find out I really don't like it, then sell it for pennies on the dollar on AT. I'd rather do some due diligence first, before wasting my money.

But, thanks for your input on how someone else's thread should be written. Perhaps you should become a moderator so that you can change them all so that they are worded the way you want to see them.:dontknow: Sheesh.....some people's kids.:confused:

·
Looking for a monster!
8,423 Posts
I like the idea of 3 fixed pins with a floating 4th pin good for 50 60 70 80
ME TOO! the optics xr is the best sight i have ever had. i am thinking about taking one of the fixed pins off till next season, having a 20,30 and the 40 being able to move to 50,60,70etc. i have shot at 70yards practicing and forgot to move the pin back before going out the next day:embara:, sure was glad the fixed pins were in the right place :wink:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts