Archery Talk Forum banner

For guys who "smoke" clothing/themselves before hunt...

885 9
I have a small smoker that I do meat in and a small enclosed shed, would burning a pan of hickory chips be a good additional scent? If not, what/how does "smoking" clothing work? I have seen bits and pieces of info, but not sure exactly you do. Thanks.
Solohunter
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Solohunter...this will be my second season using a smoker to disquise my scent. The preface is that in the woods deer smell smoke all the time. From people burning leaves to wood burning stoves, to even people smoking meat. I have used hickory as well as leaves in my bee smoker...I even do this method. I put all my clothes in the back of my truck and close the camper top...then I lit up the smoker and put the bee smoker in there and close the lid. Come back in a couple of hours to a couple of minutes to find everything smoke real well.

Now, last season the deer were down wind of me and I never had the deer bust me out. I did have two does bust me out simply because I was moving in my stand and digging something out of my pack...I looked up and sway the southside of two northbound does. They stopped, wind swirled towards them and they calmly walked away.

OCD

· Registered
322 Posts
I dont have one myself. But there was alot of talk on here last season about it. you should do a search. Seems like it really works. as a matter of fact, I am planning on "smoking" my clothes with a small brush fire, plus some cherry wood i have laying around. I guess not a fire, but a smoldering one. IT apparently kills off whatever scent bacteria are living in your clothes. To a deers nose it is a natural smell, and does not spook them. (or so I have read on here from others) anyway, good luck!

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Steps:

1. Build fire with locally-occuring wood.

2. Wear your hunting clothes while sitting around it.

3. Hunt in your newly smoked clothes.
4. Get a stick about 3 foot long and sharpen 1 end to a sharp point and grab a package of hot dogs. While sitting around your smoke/fire might as well have dinner:tongue:

· Registered
2,124 Posts
And to think that I just hung all my newly washed camo out and my neighbor started a burn pile of brush. I ran out there and put everything in scentfree cases.:confused:

· Registered
50 Posts
I have a small smoker that I do meat in and a small enclosed shed, would burning a pan of hickory chips be a good additional scent? If not, what/how does "smoking" clothing work? I have seen bits and pieces of info, but not sure exactly you do. Thanks.
Solohunter
Does it work, yes using smoke as a cover/scent killer does work. I was skeptical at first, but tried it and it works great. Once you get the hang of it, it takes less than 5 minutes to smoke your body, clothes and gear.

Your smoker in an enclosed shed would work, but you won't be able to get your body good and smoked without inhaling it. BAD. Check out www.scentsmoker.com. Their smoker works great, is easy to use and very affordable. This is my second season with it and I'm already saving money not buying those scent sprays that I never found worked anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.