Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buy a secondary vehicle to my 17’ Silverado (lifted on 35”s MTs). The truck does well off-road but I turn around a lot of time because I don’t want to beat on it.

As for a side by side, I can get a 2018 Teryx 4 LE with 3 year bumper to bumper factory warranty for $14,700 our the door. Plus about $1200 for a trailer.

I can either purchase a Jeep from early to mid 2000s for approx 10-15k or I can get an early to mid 90s for 4K-7k. With the new ones they have approx 80k miles and under while the 90’s have any where from 100k-200k miles. Biggest concern there is replacing the motor or trans which would be approx $2500 each

What would you pick for western public land hunting and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
depends on what type of hunting or fun you want to do. the SxS will get you there faster with less back pain than the jeep. but the jeep can haul more gear interior and pull a trailer. how rough are the roads and how far back are you looking to hunt?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
depends on what type of hunting or fun you want to do. the SxS will get you there faster with less back pain than the jeep. but the jeep can haul more gear interior and pull a trailer. how rough are the roads and how far back are you looking to hunt?
I hunt different areas almost every year so it varies. I also enjoy going off-road during the year when I’m not hunting but both can do that too

The 3 year warranty sure sounds nice

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
If it were a long term investment, meaning you didn't plan to sell in a couple of years, then a SxS would be what I would go for if you need maneuverability. But if you need heat/cool air and are somewhat mechanically inclined, then I would go for a jeep. That being said, there is no way I would spend close to 15K on a SxS. In one year, you might get 8K out of it (I think atv/sxs lose value faster than bows)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it were a long term investment, meaning you didn't plan to sell in a couple of years, then a SxS would be what I would go for if you need maneuverability. But if you need heat/cool air and are somewhat mechanically inclined, then I would go for a jeep. That being said, there is no way I would spend close to 15K on a SxS. In one year, you might get 8K out of it (I think atv/sxs lose value faster than bows)
I am mechanically inclined but not to the point where I have ever rebuilt a motor or trans (that’s my main worry with an older Jeep but I would like an older one so I can “beat” in it off road and not be too worried about small damages).

Around here 1-2 year old teryx go for only about $3k less than original pricing so I figure I’d lose approx 3k in value in two years.

I do plan on selling whatever I get in a year or two when I go to build a house

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I am mechanically inclined but not to the point where I have ever rebuilt a motor or trans (that’s my main worry with an older Jeep but I would like an older one so I can “beat” in it off road and not be too worried about small damages).

Around here 1-2 year old teryx go for only about $3k less than original pricing so I figure I’d lose approx 3k in value in two years.

If you don't mind taking a hit, I would go with a SxS. I have a lot of friends who own them but I can't bring myself to buy something that is a toy for 15K when I can buy an actual vehicle that I can drive down the road for the same or less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, a jeep will literally go anywhere, including the highway. They are common enough you don't really need to rebuild anything. You can just swap in used/junkyard parts.
But I admit, I don't really get the golf cart thing... I'd rather have a normal atv.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
why not a 4 wheeler, my grizzly 700 goes anywhere is was half what your looking at. i use it more for planting food plots than getting to hunting spots though.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Look into a Polaris ranger 1000. They are hard to beat and outwork. The demand is high these days and resale value isn't near as low as described above.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why not a 4 wheeler, my grizzly 700 goes anywhere is was half what your looking at. i use it more for planting food plots than getting to hunting spots though.
I have access to my fathers kodiak 500 any time I need so I already have that base covered. While the arc is awesome, it is not ideal for hunting with more than one person or taking in more than a backpack or two (the racks are small and require the use of many tie downs

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I like my Jeep. Wouldnt trade it for a s/s that’s for sure. I like my long arm suspension and 35” tires. Rides pretty good off-road especially if I air down. Take the back seat out n pile in the quarters. I can turn the back into a cooler with a few moving blankets and an old sleeping bag. Will hold 2 elk quartered out and keep for 3 days. Or I can winch it out if it’s close enough to a road to take it whole. Can an atv winch do that? Storm no problem. Doors on top up. Not back to the trail head to load up. Heater/ac. Limitless custom options. If you stay with a pre 2006 parts are easy to come by and imo the i6 was a better motor anyway. Can your side by side tow your boat to the lake? The trade offs just aren’t worth it to me. Especially how crowded our trails are these days. Wouldn’t really be able to go fast enough to take advantage of the ride quality a razor would offer over my Jeep.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
Yeah, a jeep will literally go anywhere, including the highway. They are common enough you don't really need to rebuild anything. You can just swap in used/junkyard parts.
But I admit, I don't really get the golf cart thing... I'd rather have a normal atv.
Depends on how you hunt. I used a golf cart because it is whisper quiet, no smells and at the club I was at they had a no motorized vehicles past a certain point......but electrics weren't a problem because the low impact to other hunters. So basically I had half the club to myself. The cart worked great. I would have drove right by your parked ATV on my way to my private club...……….lol IOW it depends.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
That was meant as a derogatory statement towards the side by sides :wink:
But I do like the idea of an electric golf cart over one of those too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've always looked at yhose side by sides and thought....20k? Are you fn serious. So for less then 10k you can buy and rebuild an old bronco 2. Chop the top, and swap the motor, customize the interior, lift it up 6", and you will catch all kinds of great comments. Plus, resale will be there! Or, you can find them all done for 6k, and look damn good rolling into walmart to pick up your targets!

·
Team #9
8,766 Posts
I think the land owner I lease from got this one pretty cheap , amazed how handy and what this thing goes through..I am
a huge Jeep fan but we use this thing a lot for moving stands , trimming lanes,setting up trail cameras, mineral sights , food plots
and when all pays off hauling deer out...
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0922.jpg

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I would go with the Jeep. Just because I can drive to my spot . I don't want to have to mess with a trailer. Now if I owned a spot then a sxs would be nice.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

I have an 99 XJ Cherokee that I bought in great shape with 90k miles several years ago. The engine and tranny on it (same as older wranglers (yj/tj) is the last thing I'd worry about if you get one that wasn't completely abused. Jeeps command a huge premium out here in the West but I personally think you'll be ahead of a sxs in a few key areas. Jeeps are quiet, comparatively. Heat/A/C works fantastic in most jeeps. 4.0L and AW4 may have the cheapest parts of any engine/tranny outside a sbc and there's millions of good parts in junkyards.

You don't need 35" tires. I wouldn't buy one with a big lift and tires. 33" and QUALITY suspension + a locker will take you very far.

If you can grab a TJ Rubicon you'll be in great shape, imo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an 99 XJ Cherokee that I bought in great shape with 90k miles several years ago. The engine and tranny on it (same as older wranglers (yj/tj) is the last thing I'd worry about if you get one that wasn't completely abused. Jeeps command a huge premium out here in the West but I personally think you'll be ahead of a sxs in a few key areas. Jeeps are quiet, comparatively. Heat/A/C works fantastic in most jeeps. 4.0L and AW4 may have the cheapest parts of any engine/tranny outside a sbc and there's millions of good parts in junkyards.

You don't need 35" tires. I wouldn't buy one with a big lift and tires. 33" and QUALITY suspension + a locker will take you very far.

If you can grab a TJ Rubicon you'll be in great shape, imo.

What about an YJ with 193,000 miles on the original motor and trans? Owner said it was well maintained

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
What about an YJ with 193,000 miles on the original motor and trans? Owner said it was well maintained

Possibly. Personally, I'd try to find lower miles but they CAN and DO often go much further than that.

I was patient on Craigslist and found my XJ in the exact config I wanted and the engine felt like a brand new one when I got it with 90k on it. It was a retired Gov vehicle bought at an auction and flipped to me.

For Wranglers, unless it's bone stock, you kinda should assume it's seen some miles in 4wd. And look at the oil cap and radiator first thing for evidence of a head-gasket failure. The one thing about the 4.0L is it's tough to keep cool and not real resistant to a failure due to that. If the underside of the hood looks cooked, that's a bad sign.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Yj’s are great! Super simple to work on and parts are readily available. The mileage is kinda high. You definitely what to stick to the 4.0. Four bangers suck. I have a TJ with a 5.5 rubicon express long arm and 35’s, and it goes anywhere a SxS goes plus the highway when I need to relocate for the day on a hunt. If I’m road hunting, it tall enough to see over the silver thorn and get to the most desolate places. I run a tow bar on the front and tow it behind my Hemi 2500. Can’t go wrong.
61CF2382-9D4D-4158-90B4-8BE274AE4D04.jpg

1 - 20 of 66 Posts