Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some 2" blazers and some 1.5" blazers that I'm going to be fletching soon. I want to get some other vanes to experiment with. For indoor shooting, is the size and shape of the vane that important or just a personal preference?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
spatan

Depends on what wieght you require. if your sharfts are light and you need to get your speed down. then slightly bigger vanes. these how ever damage or get tatty quicker as there is more of them to come into contact with other arrows.1.5", 2"and 3" look pretty on sharfts together with some sexy wrapes.

I am using 3" vanes on 570-14 Beamans while I wait for some line jammers.

Stay stronge, shoot straight.

Spatan:cocktail:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I shoot 4.18" Flex-Fletch vanes on X7s as they hold up much better than the 4" feathers I started out with.

Dave

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If your bow is tuned properly you don't need vanes/feathers at all. The only reason to add them is for those times when your release is less than perfect and you need a bit more stability. To be honest I don't think it matters what vanes you use so choose the ones that you feel are best.

Having said that I'm going to shoot 3" Flex-Fletch vanes on my compound arrows and 2" Flex-Fletch vanes on my recurve arrows.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
at 20 yards? I use 4 inch blazer feathers with a 1 degree offset and a right clamp helical.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
On big fat aluminum, I'd say the biggest fattest feathers you can find helically fletched. I agree with baldy to some extent, if your tuned in, fletching isn't a major concern indoors. But if your slightly off, looking for the fastest way to stabilize your arrow flight indoors would be what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i am experimenting with 3" vanetec vmax's and 3" vanetec superspines on my 2314 x7's. i think i am leaning towards the vmax's

·
Registered
381 Posts
Has anybody tried the Quick-Spins? I shoot a three or five spot target so I'm not concerned with durability.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Yes, I have. They get the arrow spinning quickly and stabilize the arrow fast. I liked them and most other people who tried them seem to like them too.

I do have some arrows fletched with quickspins but I'm not shooting a bow they will match up with so I'm sticking with flex-fletch vanes this season...

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
2114-4 inch with a healthy amount of helical

ACC-3 Inch feathers-Arizona EZ fletch right helical

ACE--use my field arrows with 1.87 FF shield cut

probably use the ACC this winter-cheaper than the ACE-almost as much speed though.

Found the AC arrows more forgiving even though you don't get as many line cutters-agree with Vittorio/Michele's findings in HERETIC ARCHER

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
KenL,

I've used the 4" QuickSpins on 2512's and the 2.25" QuickSpins on 2312's and Easton Fat Boys. Both worked fine and are probably what I'll be using again this year.

I've also used 4" feathers on 2512's, 2" Flex Fletch vanes on 1914's and 2014's (compound), 5" AAE vanes on 2512's and 4" feathers on 1914's (recurve). All have worked equally well, although I found I had to be a little more careful about transporting the arrows with AAE vanes (i.e. couldn't leave them in the quiver and quiver laying on its side for any length of time because the vanes would disfigure/warp).

>>------->

·
Registered
381 Posts
For indoor I'm using 2.3" Duravane 3D's on 2512's. You know......I really don't think it makes a difference. A good shot is a good shot. I don't think vanes are going to fix a bad shot. That being said I think I'm gonna try Flex Fletch or Spin Vanes........:heh:

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
As advized from Michigander (a famous arrow-smith here on AT), I went for 4'' Bohning Low Profile vanes (LP as a precaution because I'm using a shoot-thru system). He also suggested less helical fletching for this (stiffer) vanes, as he said the stiffer ones don't like too much helical in them for indoor shooting. In any case, I got both clamps for my Bitz, and I'll experiment with the straight one and see what happens.
The cool thing is that he had a 100-pack of discontinued color, transparent, ones :D I ordered some bohning clear nocks as well, to match the vanes :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems like most of you guys are shooting vanes longer than 2" If thats the case for most indoor target shooters, why does bohning advertise the mini blazers for target use?

·
Registered
395 Posts
At 20 yards the 2" Blazers will work fine indoors on whatever you put them on IMO. If shooting longer distances outside, I would go smaller. The 2"ers slow the arrow down fast after 50 yards.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
menaztricks said:
Seems like most of you guys are shooting vanes longer than 2" If thats the case for most indoor target shooters, why does bohning advertise the mini blazers for target use?
Maybe they are refering to Outdoor shooting with mini-blazers?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts