Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bow Kegan pointed out the other day in his traditional ? thread was a Firebrand lever cam Bow that was the predecessor to the Monster line

When the new owners of Oneida bought the company many years ago they left the cam less version with the original owners and than the original owners brought out the Firebrand which didn't last to long and eventually the cable powered variants were made by monster which again did not last to long.

Oneida is still building bows and like Kegan I am attracted o all things with curves.....Girls .......cars ....... And bows :)

So while I've never been a compound guy 15 + years ago I had an injury that made practicing with at the time my 65 pound recurves not to fun and as hunting season came around I found myself in a bow shop buying an old Oneida Aero Force

I had never Wally shot a bow with a sight before other Han playing around but I can remember thinking man this is easy :)

Needless to say even thou I hadn't been shooing because of the injury I had been scouting and my first time out the very next day I shot a 148 inch whitetail with it

I never hunted with it again and went back to my recurves as the next season rolled around

But I always had a love of those crazy lever cam bows and when Oneida announced a few years ago that they were dropping the SBE II in favor of more compact bows that lend themselves to a release shooter I figured I best have one just in case

I got one of the last Super Black Eagle II's ever made set it up and about once or twice a year I shoot it just in case

This video is the first day I have had this bow out in about a year.

The thing that I love about these bows is I can completely tune this bow and even break it down with just an Allen wrench. No bow press required

So like my recurves I am self sufficent with this piece

Kegan by the way ya got my blood pumping and I almost bought that Firebrand bow off eBay but it went for a good buck and I was not going to spend good money on a 10 year old bow with a cast handle but ............. I did order a new EA Archery Uma which is a string powered lever cam bow out of a small company in Texas that has taken over the mantle of such bows since Monster closed its doors.

Machined riser, composite limbs , Rhino stings (Jinks should be proud) :) wicked little bow that is made to order and mine should be here in about 3 weeks just in case :)

It will be all lack and set up exactly like my Oneida

Traditional ......not...... but fun :)

Check out this company

http://www.eaarchery.com/

Steve the owner does recurves also

Right up your alley buddy :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
That looks like it would be fun to shoot, and I have never wanted to shoot any type of compound bow before. That's definitely going on my "Wish List" now :shade:

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

Jeff that's what I'm saying :)

I love all archery gear and shooting this thing even thou its not technically a recurve I feel like Brady and Jake :)

All kidding aside you see some of the more experienced coaches saying on here if ya doubt your form put a sight n a d get a barometer

It sure does help ya tighten stuff up form , etc

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks for the link, JP. Those lever limb bows look pretty cool. I assume they draw like conventional compounds and have let-off and a back wall? Kind of wondering what the staff shooter is referring to when he says there is hardly any finger pinch and the bow is 39" tip to tip. From the picture, it looks pretty pinchy to me unless he is using a 2-finger draw.

9768051.jpg

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J San

I know what your saying

I have no issues with finger pinch on my Oneida and I ordered the long AE UMa model which is the same length as my SBE

For some reason I feel nothing in fact I got more pics out of one of my recurves that was on a 17 inch riser with a pair of short limbs than I do these things

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh sorry

They do have a conventional compound feel but very smooth and no real hump to get over

They are super adjustable and have a defined wall to pull into that is set by a simple adjustment

Obviously if they where the be all end all way to do things they would not be such a novelty and round wheel cam bows would have gone the way of the dodo but for a died in the wool recurve guy that wants a bow that is completely user friendly meaning easy to tune and easy to keep tuned and can be disassembled with an Allen wrench they are a viable option

Plus I don't feel like I'm cheating on my recurves as bad cause its kinda a recurve :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good to know. Thanks, JP. I would be interested in getting one to replace my Ross compound. Would be nice not to need a press every time I want to change something on it. I wonder how it would shoot with a 3-under draw. Your testimony is validates it, but the pictures just does not show a very favorable string angle!

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Really Joe? Like I don't have enough projects on my mind you get me stirred up thinking about making one of these again?

Awesome video! Looks like a fun bow, and nice and quiet too. Now that's a parallel limb design:wink:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
J..,..FWIW...I shot Oneida's for 6+ years exclusively until a brand spanking new Aeroforce blew on it's 20th shot sending pieces into my best friends leg.....CS was excellent as they replaced the bow in short order and without question.... the replacement was never shot, just went from the box into the burn barrel......also owned a monsterized discovery which was the proto for the monster bows phoenix......it was a truly awesome bow that had 0-100% letoff...I sold it last year...reluctantly too.....it's only problem...it was LOUD!!!!.....tried everything....the carbon outers didn't lend themselves to being quiet.........the problems that caused the demise of monster bows was not caused by the bows......business management and customer service were not their forte'.........if you like lever bows and have a chance to buy a phoenix......do it....they are the best lever design out there.........Good luck,Steve

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to know. Thanks, JP. I would be interested in getting one to replace my Ross compound. Would be nice not to need a press every time I want to change something on it. I wonder how it would shoot with a 3-under draw. Your testimony is validates it, but the pictures just does not show a very favorable string angle!
J San

I shoot same finger placement as I do which is split as when I shoot my recurve

Due to the light holding weight and you can really adjust these things to like 90 % let off you could actually hold it with one finger or two once you get It back

When I really wanna shoot small groups I shoot split with two fingers

I imagine you could pull it back three under and than go to 2 under for your release

I spoke to Jeremy at Oneida the other day and he said he was shooting the new Kestrel three under with no discomfort and getting good paper results and that a shorter bow than my SBE II

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really Joe? Like I don't have enough projects on my mind you get me stirred up thinking about making one of these again?

Awesome video! Looks like a fun bow, and nice and quiet too. Now that's a parallel limb design:wink:
Remember ....... I believe in you buddy :)

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J..,..FWIW...I shot Oneida's for 6+ years exclusively until a brand spanking new Aeroforce blew on it's 20th shot sending pieces into my best friends leg.....CS was excellent as they replaced the bow in short order and without question.... the replacement was never shot, just went from the box into the burn barrel......also owned a monsterized discovery which was the proto for the monster bows phoenix......it was a truly awesome bow that had 0-100% letoff...I sold it last year...reluctantly too.....it's only problem...it was LOUD!!!!.....tried everything....the carbon outers didn't lend themselves to being quiet.........the problems that caused the demise of monster bows was not caused by the bows......business management and customer service were not their forte'.........if you like lever bows and have a chance to buy a phoenix......do it....they are the best lever design out there.........Good luck,Steve
Steve

I am always looking for a Monster on the used market and ya rarely see them hence me ordering the UMA

What did you think about the shoot thru cable system ?

Thanks for the input .... Its always well respected

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
JP that's the way to go if you're looking for let off. It still has enough of the right lines and limb tip to satisfy stick and string guys who want to transition or just mess around lol. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JP that's the way to go if you're looking for let off. It still has enough of the right lines and limb tip to satisfy stick and string guys who want to transition or just mess around lol. Thanks for sharing.
That's what I'm sayin :)

I love to play with bows and I will admit a love for these style bows

I have a very large gun collection and I do not shoot much these days even thou there was a time that I taught long range shooting

I just hate cleaning guns :)

These days a little pit of pistol craft to stay sharp (that I hate to clean) and bows that I can just shoot and hang on the rack :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"Next month begins my ILF Omega limbs, so I think the lever limb bow will be put on hold for now"

COOL...I have been thinking about some ILF long bow limbs for a FUTURE purchase. Still thinking of a STD. Omega 66" about 44# at 30". Could bag it and strap it to my backpack like my 6' hiking staff or my 68" "self board bow". Need to build up and test conditioning first. Then make some more money!

If only I could find a good job!!!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts