Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend o mined told me these five facts about bowhunting 15yrs ago when i first started im got to let everyone in on it.

1. shot placement
2. shot placement
3. shot placement
4. shot placement
5. sharp broadhead

when you want to know which broadhead to use its simple pick one that's sharp.

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
my heads are simple! I use tricks for excellent flight! Thunderheads made awesome holes!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Highwaygun;1061823763 1. shot placement 2. shot placement 3. shot placement 4. shot placement 5. sharp broadhead [/QUOTE said:
Pretty much says it all.

·
Registered
438 Posts
the first four are dead on imo. i'm not as convinced about the 5th as i feel most blades are dulled before the head gets through the first set of ribs. more to do with pressure than the actual sharpness of the blades i think. not that a sharp blade wouldn't cut better than a dull blade but for the time it is sharp, maybe not that much of a difference. Atom's are a great example of that. worth shooting one if you never have. not a very sharp blade but man do they cut.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'll take a sharp razorblade over the atoms razor wire any day. Will the Razorwire cut and cause a lethal hemorrhage? YES!!!! I've cut the crap out of myself enough times with fishing line to know a "dull" object can cut to the bone. I just prefer to have the piece of mind of a big ole hunk of scalpel sharp steel ;)

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
Well, "sharp" goes without saying.........that one's a given. I don't go out looking for dull BH's.

Beyond that though, I look for a BH that's extremely, consistently accurate. Shot placement doesn't mean squat if the BH doesn't hit where you want it to every time.

Then beyond that, I look for a BH that won't blow apart on hard hits, and is easily re-usable with a little sharpening.

So for me..........sharp, accurate, durable, and then a decent sized cutting diameter.

·
preparation>opportunity
3,074 Posts
shot placement, reliability, accuracy, durability, price

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
steelheads

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ohh come on, if you put a dull field point through a deers heart its going to die.

Sharp helps with wound channel and big wound channels mean good blood trails. Broadheads are like bullets, hunters who shoot a lot of deer demand a projectile that does a lot of killing and leaves a big hole, since broadheads don't explode (yet) we don't so much worry about destroying meat. Every last one of us is going to pick a broadhead that is as big and nasty as we know we can get to fly strait. Some of us do that for $4 each and some of us spend $14 dollars each. If the same bow makes the same perfect shot through the top of the heart and both lungs then both those heads will anchor hat deer quickly.

Simple priciple air in blood out.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
too many people over analyze its where you put it the indians killed millions of animals with a ****ing rock

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm going through this broadhead crap right now, got some grizzly green 2 blades that fly great but they are only an inch wide, got some B-52's that also fly great and they are 1 1/8", and have some 2 blade snuffers that are 1 1/2" that fly great too, but they are extremely finicky about their orientation on the arrow, horizontal they fly great, but line them up vertically and the arrows kick and fly in an 'S" pattern to somewhere on the target............ just added some nockturnal to the equasion yesterday so it'll get figured out real quick in any event if the broadhead won't fly consistant it isn't worth shooting......

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
For the most part, it does not matter which broadhead a hunter chooses as long as they follow the advice given here...
1. shot placement
2. shot placement
3. shot placement
4. shot placement
5. sharp broadhead

I will add a couple of additional suggestions...

1. make sure your broadhead is properly aligned with your arrow
2. practice with your broadheads

When hunting season gets close, I shoot my broadheads more than field points.

When hunting season arrives, I practice with my broadheads exclusively. My focus is on making sure my broadhead tipped arrow is flying exactly where I'm aiming.

When I feel the urge to shoot for the enjoyment, I switch bows and use my target set up.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
thank you captain obvious lol.... dont forget durability
a friend o mined told me these five facts about bowhunting 15yrs ago when i first started im got to let everyone in on it.

1. shot placement
2. shot placement
3. shot placement
4. shot placement
5. sharp broadhead

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
Its easy to say shot placement. Of course thats the most important part but what about when the shot isnt perfect? This is bowhunting and things can a will happen. I want a head that will kill effectively even on a not so great shot. I want a big cut, Sharp head, very accurate flying and strong head. As far as the comments about the indians killing deer well Im sure they did but do you think they killed every animal they shot at? Try 25 indians all throwing rocks and arrows at the same deer until they killed it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts