Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last year after I filled my tags I tryed to do some stalks on some bedding deer. A couple of times I got within 30 yds. on bedding deer. So if I was going to try and put a shot on them how should I have gone about it? Do yoiu shoot them while bedded (if so where are the vitals) or would you wait for them to stand. WDO

·
Registered
98 Posts

Ive always wanted to shoot a bedded deer, as far as where the vitals are, on the one 3d bedded target the vitals seem sort of low

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Just aim for center mass, behind the shoulder, and you'll be in. I haven't shot a bedded deer yet, but that is also one of those feats I'd like to accomplish. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Patience

Wait for them to stand..At least with mulies they will stand, stretch, and maybe turn around or move back into the shade every hour or two. Don't blow a 3 hour stalk because you can't wait, even if waiting is killing you!!

Lots of threads lately about lost deer, and most of those were near broadside when arrowed.

:)

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
blueriverjerry said:
Wait for them to stand..At least with mulies they will stand, stretch, and maybe turn around or move back into the shade every hour or two. Don't blow a 3 hour stalk because you can't wait, even if waiting is killing you!!

Lots of threads lately about lost deer, and most of those were near broadside when arrowed.

:)
This is what I do. I have in the past whisteld, thrown acorns etc, but this is the best way to get a nice shot at a relaxed deer. Sometimes is backfires on you though. I was being patient in IL last year after I stalked to within 35 yards of a bedded 8 pointer. He was a nice buck that I spotted with my binos on a hardwood ridge in the rain. My problem was that he was bedded behind a log (which they will often do, or a blow down) and I couldn't get an arrow in him. So I waited. Unfortunately, a spike buck came up the ridge and chased the doe he was with and they all took off down the hill. It was an awesome hunt, but that is the way it goes with spot and stalk. He had no idea how close he was to death. :)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I was stalking a bedded Mulie buck last year .... it was bedded on a ridge where 2 draws came together ...it was a tough stalk .... but I got to 25 or so yrds ..... and then a truck stopped on the road 1/4 mile away ..... and 3 guys got out to look at the deer .... They were scouting for rifle season..... all I could hear is them talking ..."wow he's nice ...blah blah blah " so now the buck is looking right at them ...... directly over top of me (I have become one with the ground.... my camo works real well evidently) this went on for 10 -15 minutes ... these guys yakkin on the road ...about hunting etc .... the deer never took his eye off them to allow me a small chance at a shot with blowing outta there .... Finally the deer stood up ... I heard more ohhs and awes from the road then the deer took off walking up hill over the ridge to the next feild ...needless to say No arrow left my bow on that stalk ..... I watched as the deer went over the rise ...then I stood up .... all i heard was "Holy ______... theres a guy there" I gave them all my best one fingered salute and they sped off .... Never seen em again after that ....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bowzone_Mikey said:
I was stalking a bedded Mulie buck last year .... it was bedded on a ridge where 2 draws came together ...it was a tough stalk .... but I got to 25 or so yrds ..... and then a truck stopped on the road 1/4 mile away ..... and 3 guys got out to look at the deer .... They were scouting for rifle season..... all I could hear is them talking ..."wow he's nice ...blah blah blah " so now the buck is looking right at them ...... directly over top of me (I have become one with the ground.... my camo works real well evidently) this went on for 10 -15 minutes ... these guys yakkin on the road ...about hunting etc .... the deer never took his eye off them to allow me a small chance at a shot with blowing outta there .... Finally the deer stood up ... I heard more ohhs and awes from the road then the deer took off walking up hill over the ridge to the next feild ...needless to say No arrow left my bow on that stalk ..... I watched as the deer went over the rise ...then I stood up .... all i heard was "Holy ______... theres a guy there" I gave them all my best one fingered salute and they sped off .... Never seen em again after that ....
Great story! I'm just trying to not blow it when I get my chance again. WDO

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I know people who wouldn't shoot a bedded deer because they view it as un-sportsman like.

I wouldn't unless I had to which means a trophy that I had a great shot on.

I guess that makes me un-sportsman like when it is convenient :wink:

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I have spot and stalk hunted mulies out here in the west for 20 years now. Even with a rifle my brother and i will wait till the deer we are after beds and then try to get as close as we can. Last year we walked up to 7 yards of a big 170's mulie. My brother shot him with his .270. We have always waited till the deer stood up. If you get tired of waiting just be sure your ready to shoot, even draw if you want, and whistle. He'll stand right up, but make sure your ready. They will usually give you plenty of time to shoot. Good luck.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
shtr said:
I know people who wouldn't shoot a bedded deer because they view it as un-sportsman like.

I wouldn't unless I had to which means a trophy that I had a great shot on.

I guess that makes me un-sportsman like when it is convenient :wink:

I've never understood that. Personally, I think it takes twice as much skill to stalk or track a buck to within bow range and take it from its bed, than to wait in a tree for that same buck to wander by.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meleagris1 said:
I've never understood that. Personally, I think it takes twice as much skill to stalk or track a buck to within bow range and take it from its bed, than to wait in a tree for that same buck to wander by.
Me too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts