Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you get your mail order bow. when it comes in you want to make it perfect. when checking it . the specs say 70 lbs 7 1/2 in brace height 34 1/2 ata. it comes in 72 lbs 7 1/2 brace but the ata is 1/2 inch long. but the cam or cams are in time. what do you do?

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
shoot is some, see how it shoots and what stretches, then after your assesment, tweak it to be more forgiving in your hands. :)

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
No offense, but something doesn't sound right.

If the speced brace height is 7-1/2" with a 34-1/2 ATA, how can it still be 7-1/2" if the ATA is 35"?

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Christopher Lee said:

If the speced brace height is 7-1/2" with a 34-1/2 ATA, how can it still be 7-1/2" if the ATA is 35"?
he didn't say what bow it is but it is common for hoyts models to have different brace heights and Axel to axel depending on what cam's and limb combo you get which could be different than the advertised one in the book.

Like a protect with 4000 limbs and wheel and half will have different spec than the advertised protec 2000 limb cam .5.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,345 Posts
Christopher Lee said:

Cables are on the long side,
so the ATA is long.

Cams are under rotated so the brace height
is larger than it should be when the ATA is long.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I have a little advantage over most do-it-yourselfers. I remove the strings and check them for proper length under 100 lbs. of tension. I would then twist them there if they were not. Then I would put them back on the bow.

Actually, I throw the set away that comes with the bow and make my own.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
nuts&bolts said:
so the ATA is long.

Ahh...that makes sense!

So I'm guessing upnorth should twist up the cables to get the ATA back into spec first, then tune each cable for timing while maintaining the correct ATA and brace height? I'm just guessing as I do not have much experience with 2 cam bows.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
nuts&bolts said:
so the ATA is long.

Well, I read many of your comments before and I usually agree with everything you say, but I have to disagree. I would like to see a picture of these cams.

If the cables were too long and the A2A was too long. I can't see how it would be developing the 72#.

My best guess, would be both the cables and string are too long. It would be nice to know what type of bow we are dealing with. I would twist up all of them at first and then twist more on the string than the cables. You want to maintain the BH and get the axle to axle. The general rule for cable adjustment is if you shorten the cableby twisting, you increase poundage and draw length. If you take twists out, you decease poundage and draw length. The string actually just maintains this relationship.

Again, I may be missing something here, we need to know what sort of cam we are dealing with to really be able to advise.

Getting the correct axle to axle preloads the limbs to a certain point. Once the axle to axle is set the the cable(s) needs to be lengthen or shorten to get the proper brace height, poundage and draw length. The string may also have to be adjusted again to maintain the axle to axle and cam rotation.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Just some food for thought, I purchased a bow and the AtoA per spec given and listed in the catalog was supossed to be 40" when I received it it was
40 1/2" everybody including myself thought ok just bring it back into spec.. Well I called the company and they said that "oh on that model their all leaving the factory at 40 1/2" and the catalogs have already been printed and sent out so we couldn't change them" :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Boone said:
Just some food for thought, I purchased a bow and the AtoA per spec given and listed in the catalog was supossed to be 40" when I received it it was
40 1/2" everybody including myself thought ok just bring it back into spec.. Well I called the company and they said that "oh on that model their all leaving the factory at 40 1/2" and the catalogs have already been printed and sent out so we couldn't change them" :eek: :rolleyes:
Yeap, there are a lot of miss prints in catalogs and manuals. Martin has several in their current book and even on their web site. I would try to check the web site for the current listing. You might even want to call hand find out the most correct information.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Hypotheticals can't be answered.

As was said about Hoyts and different cam/limb combos, also applies to different base Nitrous cams.

Deezlin's method of checking proper string lengths usually works, but sometimes the original string lengths are also incorrect as originally published.

nuts&bolts said:
so the ATA is long.

Long cables mean less poundage, this hypothetical bow has increased poundage. He also said the hypothetical bow's cams were correct.
A long string could increase poundage and lengthen AtA but would also shorten brace.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what you guys are saying is that if the brace heights is correct to start with , but the ata is off that you can make adjustments to the string or cable and correct the ata and still keep the brace height the same.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,345 Posts
upnorth said:
so what you guys are saying is that if the brace heights is correct to start with , but the ata is off that you can make adjustments to the string or cable and correct the ata and still keep the brace height the same.
What we are saying is that you should call the factory,
and confirm what the ATA should be.

The websites can have a typographical error about the posted ATA.
It happens. Even the manual can sometimes have a typographical error about what the ATA should be.

Once you talk to technical support at the factory for this bow,
then adjust the cables to get to the factory ATA spec
or at least closer to it.

Then, check the timing on the cams, and you're done.

·
Banned
910 Posts
both my hoyts are a lil bit longer than there spec sheet, cams look ok, brace is OK, they shoot fine....i dont worry about it. often times the cam size can effect a2a slightly and theyre giving you the middle sized (draw range cam spec)or like was said...the final spec came out longer and the prelim. spec data was already printed.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive worked on alot of bows and to me the correct answer would be you can get the brace and cams to spec or you can get the ata and cams correct but very seldom do you get all 3 . sometimes a compromise between the brace and ata is the way to go.
im always looking for different ways to do things thats why i ask questions.

·
Registered
697 Posts
upnorth said:
you get your mail order bow. when it comes in you want to make it perfect. when checking it . the specs say 70 lbs 7 1/2 in brace height 34 1/2 ata. it comes in 72 lbs 7 1/2 brace but the ata is 1/2 inch long. but the cam or cams are in time. what do you do?

you know what i would do with this bow? i would throw it straight in the trash!:wink: just kidding. seriously, i would bolt all the stuff on and shoot it the way it is. if it shoots well, then leave well enough alone. just my opinion. i think as long as something isn't waaaaaaaaayyy out of spec it will shoot just fine.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I agree with the comment that if the cables were too long the bow wouldnt be at or above the poundage. Long cables are like short stringing the bow. They decrease the draw length and lower the poundage.

Someone else mentioned that different cams can alter the ATA from the published specs. Hoyt for example will publish an ATA length in their catalog, but the bow will vary greatly, as much as 1 inch, with different draw lengths and corresponding cams.

If it shoots well, go for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts