Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If youve been in the long range bashing threads who has read Idiot proof and other books and applied the knowledge in them? Also who has paid for a coach? And finally who thats saying things cant be done has actually spent a lot of time trying them before saying its impossible? The 4 minute mile was impossible because your heart would explode as was breaking the sound barrier. A 10" group at 100 is acheivable by anyone on here if they practice it with proper technique. Youd think we were talking about lifting an aircraft carrier here.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cmon where are all the guys saying its impossible? Surely youve all read idiot proof and other books and practiced for many hours at longer range in order to be able to categorically say its impossible right?Or are you saying its impossible because youve never tried?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
They are secretly practicing in their backyards out to 100 yards. Most probably can't shoot a tight group at 30 so they think it is impossible at 100.

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,149 Posts
I'll be the first to say it....I read Idiot Proof Archery.

Didn't see where it said 100 yard shots at a live animal are either etical or unethical. Folks just gotta know their limitations and comfort level. I can shoot at a target all day long and live with any misses, but I don't feel comfortable shooting at and possibly wounding an animal at that distance so I just don't do it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be the first to say it....I read Idiot Proof Archery.

Didn't see where it said 100 yard shots at a live animal are either etical or unethical. Folks just gotta know their limitations and comfort level. I can shoot at a target all day long and live with any misses, but I don't feel comfortable shooting at and possibly wounding an animal at that distance so I just don't do it.
Do you shoot with those principles and how has your shooting improved? This book is what made me realize how good ANYONE can get nowadays. And in no way does it endorse shooting anything at any range it just made me capable.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm sure all of you have seen videos where a deer ducked several inches on a 20 yard shot....so I don't think it is ethical to shoot more then 40-50 at best. Tight groups at 100 yards consistantly is certainly possible....at deer no way.

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,149 Posts
I don't have a place to shoot long distance right now. Maybe something will become available, but then I think I'll read the book again first. In the lapse of time since reading the book and putting the techniques into practice, I have reverted back to idiot status.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are beating this horse agian !!!!!Most on here that i have read that dont think its a good i idea to shoot 100 yards at a living animal is because there is alot can happen between the time u relaese the arrow and the time it takes to travel 80 yards. Nobody is saying theres not guys at 80 yards can kill a FOAM standing still deer target!!!Hell they proably could hit it at 150 yards!!!We can agree that normally the farther you get away from the target your groups get bigger, typical. The truth is the farther the shot the less chance u are going to kill that deer period!!!!!!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are beating this horse agian !!!!!Most on here that i have read that dont think its a good i idea to shoot 100 yards at a living animal is because there is alot can happen between the time u relaese the arrow and the time it takes to travel 80 yards. Nobody is saying theres not guys at 80 yards can kill a FOAM standing still deer target!!!Hell they proably could hit it at 150 yards!!!We can agree that normally the farther you get away from the target your groups get bigger, typical. The truth is the farther the shot the less chance u are going to kill that deer period!!!!!!!
Yeah sleeping deer usually jump the string. I'm not replying to anyone who's from east of I-35 anymore its like talking to someone thats drunk.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a place to shoot long distance right now. Maybe something will become available, but then I think I'll read the book again first. In the lapse of time since reading the book and putting the techniques into practice, I have reverted back to idiot status.
I didnt shoot over 5 feet the first 6 months I had the book. Whats the point?

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,149 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
So what kind of stuff is in this holy grail of archery handbook? Sounds like tha bomb!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah sleeping deer usually jump the string. I'm not replying to anyone who's from east of I-35 anymore its like talking to someone thats drunk.
Wasnt going to a smart [email protected]# but i couldnt resist myself. Really if the deer is sleeping then there shouldnt have any problem gettting closer to him!!!!!!!!!!!!! but u are right i do not find that many deer laying sleeping around the woods i hunt!!!!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
you can shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards all day long. But shooting at a deer at 100 yards is totally different. lve had deer jump the string at 25yds. I love shooting long range and my hunting buddy and I shoot out to 160 yds because it's fun as hell. It takes a long time for an arrow to travel 100 yards relatively speaking. Plenty of time for a deer to take a few steps or jump the string etc... The odds of something going wrong is just too high on a 100 yarder. Just a guess but say you hit a golf ball at 100 yards everytime. I bet you would miss "miss as in hitting vitals" 5 out of 5 shots at a 100 yard deer shot on account of the variables. Jmo though and opinions are rarely even worth .02 in my book. Lol.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
i heard something on an old bow hunting vid and i dont know if it is true but....it said most of the time if a deer is under 18 yards it will be to hard for it to jump the string, and if it is past 36 then most of the time it wont be loud enough to scare it, its 18-36 yards where most string jumps occur, at 100 yards i doubt the deer hears much less cares what the noise is your bow made

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
i heard something on an old bow hunting vid and i dont know if it is true but....it said most of the time if a deer is under 18 yards it will be to hard for it to jump the string, and if it is past 36 then most of the time it wont be loud enough to scare it, its 18-36 yards where most string jumps occur, at 100 yards i doubt the deer hears much less cares what the noise is your bow made
I'd be willing to bet the video you saw that on is called "Bowhunting October Whitetails".. My buddy has it and I've watched it a few times. Between the running deer shots, treebark camo, and the old dude smashing his face into a big piece of watermelon with his had on sideways, it's a pretty crazy vid. I'm sure that's where you heard the 18yrd-36yrd rule.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts