Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanna get in Bowhunting and havn't bought a bow yet. Their have been many hunting stores in Northern NJ pushing PSE brand compounds. What is a good bow for a beginer who wants to go whitetail deer hunting. And whats the best company for bows, ill probably get one off ebay and hopefully this can give other newbs information on bows. Please help!

Nytra:confused: :D

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Go to a couple different shops and see which one helps you out the most. Then buy whatever that shop sells, because their help will be more important to you than what bow you shoot. Once you get the basics down, then you can start shopping around more for bows.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good advice from Meleagris1.
I just got into compounds about a year ago, but shot traditional for 40+ years. The local pro shop has worked with me to find a bow & accessories (rest, sights, etc.) that will work for me. After 3 bows I've finally found one that works! He let me try several before making any purchase, and when the first 2 I purchased didn't work out, he gave me an excellant trade-in value on them. If I had purchased a bow elsewhere it would have cost me a lot more in the long run! He has made countless adjustments & fine tuning at no charge for me along the way, plus provided several accessories for me to try at no charge/obligation. The ones that work I purchase, the ones that don't I return.
By the way, he sells PSE, and I have had a problem or two with small details (like a limb cracking). He replaced any defective part(s) encountered at no charge, and told me the bow(s) have a lifetime warranty! I would recommend PSE, but I'm sure other brands are good, too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Nytra;

As you can probably tell from my username, we are in the same boat. I held a bow for the first time this past May. I do have the luxury of having my best friend, who has been bow hunting and shooting 3-D for many years now, helping me along. Even though he is a few hundred miles away, I can still just pick up the phone and get some technical advice. Anyhow, I would also suggest getting chummy with the folks at your local archery shop and also got o a 3-D range, you will find that most people are more than happy to help a newbie out. For my first bow, I went on the advice of my friend and got a PSE "The Beast". They have a lot of advantages for beginners such as entry level pricing, good packages and their entry level bows are very forgiving. I have been practicing in my back yard and occasionally at the range since May and have shot one 3-D tournament and I feel confident now that I am ready to hunt. I am tuning in with my broadheads now and have even moved up to carbon arrows. Once you start, you will be amazed at how much you can learn if you want to, this site has been especially helpful to me too! All I can say is visit your shop, spend some time at the range talking to people, don't be concerned with any particular brand for now, until you find out what you like and want, keep it fun, and don't be afraid to ask any question, there are no stupid questions. Three months ago, I didn't even know how to hold my bow! Good luck, hope to hear about your progress!!!:D :D :D

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bows

Most bows are perfectly fine for the beginner. As one becomes expert he or she will likely gravitate towards one that fits him the most. Most serious bowhunters who are not paid to shoot a bow for advertisement reasons end up with a Hoyt or a Mathews. I think everyone would like to shoot a Mathews if they could afford it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your advice

Thanks everyone,

I have recently looked at PSE's "The Beast" and for the extra 15 bucks it looked like a better buy to the "deerhunter". Ive checked these bows on ebay and have found awsome savings. I not sure about getting a really good deal on ebay, or buying it at a pro shop for the tuning and knowlege they can give me. Their are many books out now that can teach about tuning your bow. Is it wise to go solo or Pro Shop?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
go to several shops around and ask questions like melegaris stated and handle the different bows and again ask questions. if you have an idea of what kind of money you want to spend let the man behind the counter know so he can show you what is in that range. also remember that if they have a bow outfitted and ready to go that you still have arrows and release to buy also, unless it is a complete package. if you want to buy from one shop over another let it be the one that was more than willing to help and not the one that just figures your easy money. handle all of the bows and keep in mind that every bow will have a feel and ask them what to do and what not to doand they may have bows set up for you to try. shoot them and ask questions a good shop owner will know it;s your first bow and will bend over backwards to help. good luck and welcome to the world of compound bows and archery
rob k

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nytra

If this is your 1st bow you should really go to a bow shop.The bow you are talking about may be a great bow and deal but if you have a good pro shop in your area it may save you alot of money in the long run. You can go and try as many bows as you like and they will set it up to fit you. Thats just my 2 cents and im shure alot of peps on here will agree. Have fun with your new deer flopper!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts