Archery Talk Forum banner

For those of you who commented on the "Hows my form" thread

3165 46
So... regarding thread

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=762288&highlight=combat+wombat

I went to my local pro shop today and asked to have my DL shortened and the guy behind the counter measured me and said;

"No, you're DL is fine. If I shorten it you'll lose alot of speed and you don't want that"

He instead took me back and watched me shoot and told me my sole problem was my form, and said I needed to lose the kisser button, so he ripped it off before I could even say anything and forced my peep sight up 2 inches or so.

The worst part about it was, he then said I would have to come back in 2 days when he wasn't busy to serve my peep sight in and twist the string a bit so the peep could be looked through.

I swear, that was the last time I am ever going there again.

I am hanging up my bow (since I can't even see through the peep anymore) till I get time to make a huge drive to another pro shop and hopefully find someone who will help me out..

:mad:
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
23,637 Posts
That plain sucks!

Is there an AT'er near this guy to help him out??????

· Registered
8,686 Posts
So... regarding thread

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=762288&highlight=combat+wombat

I went to my local pro shop today and asked to have my DL shortened and the guy behind the counter measured me and said;

"No, you're DL is fine. If I shorten it you'll lose alot of speed and you don't want that"

He instead took me back and watched me shoot and told me my sole problem was my form, and said I needed to lose the kisser button, so he ripped it off before I could even say anything and forced my peep sight up 2 inches or so.

The worst part about it was, he then said I would have to come back in 2 days when he wasn't busy to serve my peep sight in and twist the string a bit so the peep could be looked through.

I swear, that was the last time I am ever going there again.

I am hanging up my bow (since I can't even see through the peep anymore) till I get time to make a huge drive to another pro shop and hopefully find someone who will help me out..

:mad:
you can slide the peep back down the string yourself and you can tie it in with dental floss yourself. Pro shop we don't need no stinkin pro shop...

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Near Toronto Ontario :eek:

Archery shops are very scarce out here, next closest one is an hours drive.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
While I agree with loosing the kisser. How it was done and the rest of the abuse yes I said and ment abuse you took was and is out of line and a complete bunch of you know what. PM me I will give you my ph number or you give me yours I'll eat the phone charges. I will walk you thru getting your bow back so you can at least shoot.

· Premium Member
5,745 Posts
If you are uncomfortable with the information you received in Oshawa (I assume that is the shop you went to), then maybe you should consider looking up the local archery club in your area (Durham Archers) and seeing if some of the more experienced members there could help you out. They are a good bunch of folks.

Durham's information is available on the OAA website, the OAA website is available through the link in my signature.

Cheers

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are uncomfortable with the information you received in Oshawa (I assume that is the shop you went to), then maybe you should consider looking up the local archery club in your area (Durham Archers) and seeing if some of the more experienced members there could help you out. They are a good bunch of folks.

Durham's information is available on the OAA website, the OAA website is available through the link in my signature.

Cheers

I have actually tried that, No luck so far. Tho my works hours prevent me from going to the DA range on the popular days.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats the thing, They told me my DL was just fine and it was my form that was wrong. he said to loose the kisser and raise the peep.

But he didn't do it, so I don't even know whats what yet. Maybe it is just bad form?

I would hate to buy new cams & strings if it's just poor form and draw arm positioning.

· Registered
6,665 Posts
Thats the thing, They told me my DL was just fine and it was my form that was wrong. he said to loose the kisser and raise the peep.

But he didn't do it, so I don't even know whats what yet. Maybe it is just bad form?

I would hate to buy new cams & strings if it's just poor form and draw arm positioning.
I would definitely say that your form is not that bad... the problem is that you move your head back to fit your bow. Instead you should be drawing your bow, then keeping your head still, move the string to your face. If you do that now, your kisser will be whispering in your ear.

Try taking the picture that I posted in your previous thread, and show that to the bow shop... and see what they say. You are clearly drawn back to your ear.

Your shoulders appear to be in decent position, and your draw cycle is good and strong. The swindler at the shop is feeding you a line. Don't worry about the speed. If you shoot badly because you want extra speed, what good is a fast miss? People have been shooting deer with recurve bows and longbows for centuries, and these things are lucky to see 180 fps... yet people did not starve.

Hope you find someone that can help you with set the right draw length...

· Registered
6,665 Posts
The first three pictures below show you drawing way past your anchor. You should draw to anchor, and then stop... You need to make the bow fit you, not you fit the bow. Now look at the fourth picture, and compare your head position... You can clearly see how far back you move your head.

Attachments

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The moment someone touches my bow and removes or changes something without my permission is the moment ive decided ill never go to their damn shop ever again. Hard luck mate, time to learn to DIY!

DIY = Do it yourself?

He told me to come back in 2 days and then he could put it in a press and twist the string so the peep would be straight and serve it back in.

Is that right? is that what needs to be done?

I mean what Perfectionist is saying makes perfect sense to me, I am just wondering if I hold my bow differently and change my elbow like he said if it would really make much difference.

P.S I should also mention my wing span length divided by 2.5 says my DL should be 26.5, but the archery guy at the local pro shop took a tape measure and measured my bow arm stretched out and said my correct DL is 27 & 3/4. In those pictures Perfectionist posted the DL is set to 27 right now.

· Registered
5,550 Posts
I take it your wingspan must be around 66.5 to 67 inches then. I have a 73 inch wingspan and my draw length according to this method should be around 29 inches but I feel the best at 28.5 inches . This so called Pro shop is way off base on its estimation of your draw length. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than the pro shop can help you out. The pro shop is definitely doing a disservice to you.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take a look.

Ok guys,

So I took some pictures of myself doing what the man at the pro shop told me my problem was.

he told me I wasn't positioning my elbow correctly, and my bow wrist was not straight, and I needed to loose the kisser button.

So these pictures are of me trying to straighten my bow wrist and trying to also fix my draw shoulder from a flex position down to more of a horizontal position. (is my release arm shoulder position correct at full draw?)

Do you think this makes any difference to the DL dilema?

Thanks for the help guys!

P.S. I do feel a lil strained holding the bow in this picture as it's not the feel I am used too

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.