Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a Carter Chocolate Lite thumb release, switching from a Scott lil bitty goose. My groups tightened up immediately and I have been pleased for the most part. The only problem I have is that I had to change my anchor point and I havent been able to find a comfortable spot to anchor my shooting hand. When I seel the pro shooters using a thumb release they generally shoot with their thumb strait down, to do this with the Carter though it twists my string loop to a 90 deg angle because of the direction of the jaws. I have noticed some of the other thumb releases out there have jaws that swivel and that seems like a good option. I would like to see some photos of some of your anchor points or looking for any advice or input.

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any input

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Try using a simple string (simulater) to get the anchor and feel you want.
Then adjust the draw length and or loop on your bow to repeat that feel.
Leave your release hand fall into a natural anchor and angle without forcing any preconceived ideas.
Around a 45 degree angle is closer to normal.
Anything you have to force into position will fall apart when you get tired.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
you might even have to change your peep location, when I go back and forth I have to change peep height, and draw length to get the perfect fit and anchor

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Around a 45 degree angle is closer to normal.
Ditto, most do not use the 90 degree angle, though there isn't anything wrong with that approach and there are some excellent shots that do hold with the thumb straight down on a handheld.

45 degree angle, 1st and 2nd knuckles locked along jawbone straight down from back corner of eye (just behind eye)....i.e. if I were to measure distance from tip of chin to ear lobe I'm maybe 2/3 back from chin, roughly 2" in front of ear lobe. Facial features can vary that slightly.

>>----->

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Ditto, most do not use the 90 degree angle, though there isn't anything wrong with that approach and there are some excellent shots that do hold with the thumb straight down on a handheld.

45 degree angle, 1st and 2nd knuckles locked along jawbone straight down from back corner of eye (just behind eye)....i.e. if I were to measure distance from tip of chin to ear lobe I'm maybe 2/3 back from chin, roughly 2" in front of ear lobe. Facial features can vary that slightly.

>>----->

I agree with all this. The only thing I would add is that 45 degrees seems to be a good angle, but not something I get bent out of shape with I guess. The big thing is to do it the same every time. I probably end up closer to 30, but if I force myself to have more angle, the release doesn't go off well for me because I can't relax into the shot. Get an anchor, relax into the shot, see where your at and you'll be on the money.

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you guys are saying I shouldnt worry about putting sideways tension on my string loop?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts