Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be an odd question, but my vision has been getting progressivly worse over the past year. i am considering getting glasses. does anyone here trouble shooting with glasses? should i look into contacts?

thanks for any advice.

AH

·
Registered
165 Posts
i shoot all the time with contacts=they r awsome.!!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Well, I hate to wear contacts, so I'll generally shoot all tournaments using my glasses. However, that being said, when I hunt I just have to wear contacts. My glasses have the unfortunate tendency to fog over while climbing hills in cool weather. Then there’s the time I drew on a dynamite Elk, only to have my glasses fog again with vapor from my breath.

All in all, if you’re hunting in cold weather, glasses really are a pain in the butt!

I wish I didn’t have to wear the darn things,

Richard

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Glasses suck

I wear my contacts too much if anything. My vision too is getting worse. I have an astigmatism in one eye and have found contacts to be a pain until I found one that fits very good. That took several years. Once my vision stops changing so frequently I am going to have Lasik. My problem with glasses is fogging also. Only the fogging occurs mostly in the heat for me. I live in Florida and it is hot ten months of the year...atleast. They also fog when it is cold. You cannot wear a face mask with them. All day hunts with contacts are difficult too though. Your eyes get tired and the contacts will move and cause blurred vision. I would advise pming Doc since he is an eye doctor and getting his opinion. He has been very helpful to me.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I wouldn't ever consider wearing glasses while hunting. Then again, I don't ever really wear my glasses unless I'm giving my eyes a break from contacts.

Go with contacts. You'll be happy with them.

David

·
Registered
496 Posts
glasses

I have always had to wear glasses and have tried contacts. Contacts are good, but I work in construction and was always getting dust in my eyes which really irritates your eyes with contacts. I don't have any problem bow hunting with glasses. Sometimes while spring turkey hunting when it is humid my glasses will fog up but I found some anti-fog cleaner that works pretty well. Hey bowhunter 0916, a fellow plumber here. UA Local 65.

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Have you looked into Laser surgery? I wore contacts/glasses for 15 years. One time I had a contact fall out in the dark. That was a fun walk home. I also hated glasses fogging up. I had the surgery done last winter. It is great. I'd definitely do it again and highly recommend it if your surgeon says it's an option for you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I hunt with one contact in most of the time but when I go to Colorado I have to wear my glasses because my contacts arent the correct prescription and I cant read my GPS. Does anyone know of anything you can put on your glasses to keep them from fogging up ? Does the stuff you put on your car windshield work ?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I went straight to contacts when my eyes started needing correction. It took a little getting used to, but glasses would have been an adjustment for me at the time as well.

Now I usually don't even realize I've got them in. The only time I wear glasses is around the house in the morning & evenings just to give my eyes a little fresh air.

Most people that I know who've worn glasses for years have trouble switching to contacts. I've tried to shoot in glasses before & it's just too awkward after shooting without them for so long. I'd say go with the contacts, realizing that it will take a little adjustment. But I think you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Both

I have hunted with both, you just have to find what works. I personally prefer glasses just because I have had them forever and it is one less thing I have to worry about toting around. Because I have astigmatism, I seem to be able to see better with my glasses. But I do like the convience of contacts.

You really should check out lasik surgery, many insurances are starting to cover some or all of it and if you vision isn't horribly bad you may be a perfect candidate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use my glasses all the time. I could never shoot gun with my contacts in, I think it really depends on your eye problem though! I really had a problem with my depth perception when wearing contacts. Glasses do fog up which really bites, but at least I can hit what I aim at.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
First off, you should look through contacts, not into them :)

I can't stand contacts. I always were my glasses. The only problem you should have with them is if you use the tip of your nose as an anchor. The frames will likely get in your way.
Fogging is easy to take care of. Stop breathing on them or move them away from your face if sweat is the problem.
I wear a mask and tuck the bottom of the eye holes under them so breath doesn't hit them.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I sweat so freakin' much that I have no choice but to wear my contacts. My glasses would either be foggin' up or slippin' off my face. I absolutely love 'em. My wife wants me to get lasick soon, so who knows. But for me contacts are much better when hunting.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
make sure you get a pair thathas a pretty big glass area and make sure you use something to keep your glasses on your nose and not slide down. for my computer use i have some progressive glasses and for shooting and hunting i shoot a pair of what look like the aviation glasses with a wide frame and they work excellent and i can see above the bifocal easily and my groups have gotten much better since i got them
rob k

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Contacts 100%! You can look through binocs with your glasses on!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Had great eyes for the first 50 years then things went to S##t. My vision is not that bad but I was unable to see the pins clearly. Went to contacts this past year and I am back on target. Love them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I cannot shoot in my glasses

I wear both conacts and glasses. But it seems the way I anchor I look over the bridge of my nose to shoot... which puts the frame and nose piece of the glasses right in my line of sight. I were contacts for shooting and they work great.

With that being said I have seen several shooters shoot very well in glasses.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,270 Posts
My left eye sucks and it's my sight eye. I don't need glasses to drive but must wear them to hunt, if I want to actually see what I'm shooting at. Have had some minor fogging problems but never missed a deer because of that.
Would love to wear contacts but I just cannot get them in - takes me 45 minutes.
Don't tell me about it getting easier or faster - I tried daily for a month with no improvement :cry:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.