1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
WOW!! :jaw: That's why I carry a gun :uzi: :bear:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I live about ten mile from where it was killed.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
A gun is only good as the guy carrying it, If your not proficient with your weapon, Then it's not going to be very effective. Carrying a gun in Bear Country is a wise idea, But a wiser idea is to practive extensively with it! I'd personally rather carry Bear Spray!

·
Registered
243 Posts
we dont have bears like that down here. im kinda glad!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A gun is only good as the guy carrying it, If your not proficient with your weapon, Then it's not going to be very effective. Carrying a gun in Bear Country is a wise idea, But a wiser idea is to practive extensively with it! I'd personally rather carry Bear Spray!
Have you ever shot a .454? I've been around one being shot and didn't have any interest in shooting it. I don't blame the guy that shot that bear for shooting the .45 Colts through it and then making sure the .454 shot similarly and then never shot the .454s again.

Also, I'd be having a LONG talk with the company that loaded those rounds. He was very fortunate that the 3rd shot got lucky and hit the bear in the spine before bullet #5 backed out.

·
P#NW045
12,716 Posts
I know several people who have had to do this. bears are very tough animals. On of the guys shot a 2y.o. grizzly with a .44mag 6 times another shot one through the eye and into the brain with a .338 win mag at 25feet, maybe less.

I do also agree with being proficient with the gun. If you can't shoot the gun accurately or proficiently due to whatever reason, then it isn't the gun for you. Most of the people that I know carry a shotgun when in bear country. A 12gauge shooting slugs in better than any handgun that you can have.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I carry a 45, but I think that bear spray is a WAY better answer. Im gonna get some as long as it works on cougars too, which Im sure it does...right?

·
P#NW045
12,716 Posts
I carry a 45, but I think that bear spray is a WAY better answer. Im gonna get some as long as it works on cougars too, which Im sure it does...right?
I have a question for hardball15 and others that prefer pepper spray to a gun. Why do you prefer pepper spray?

·
Banned
3,965 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The reason that I started carrying was because of Cougar. Bear seem to scatter everytime they see me in the area. The reason I like the pepper spray idea, (although I do not own any) is because with a gun, you have to be accurate, and if a surprise attack did happen, it would happen so fast Im not sure if I would be able to get an ACCURATE shot off, then if I did get a shot off, bear have been known to keep attacking even after shot, so it is not a sure thing. It may just make them more mad.

With pepper spray on your belt, all you would have to do is discharge it. You wouldnt have to point it in the direction of the bear even if they are on you. For anyone with any experience with that stuff, anyone in the area gets affected. It seems that the bears want NOTHING to do with that stuff, and will choose FLIGHT, not fight when it is discharged.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
Have you ever shot a .454? I've been around one being shot and didn't have any interest in shooting it. I don't blame the guy that shot that bear for shooting the .45 Colts through it and then making sure the .454 shot similarly and then never shot the .454s again.

Also, I'd be having a LONG talk with the company that loaded those rounds. He was very fortunate that the 3rd shot got lucky and hit the bear in the spine before bullet #5 backed out.
I have a S&W 500. But i much prefer shooting my 629.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
The best sidearm to carry in bear country is the Smith&Wesson 500. So that when a bear is chasing you,
you can pull out this big mama, fire off a shot in the direction of the bear.... which will more likely hit
a tree which falls over and kills the bear. SUCCESS!

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
You & me both. All we got are those little scaredy cat black bears! LOL
black Bears are not as aggressive as the Alaskan bears but if you get around a cub then things can change quick. I work in the woods and sometims get around the okefenokee swamp where there are many and try to always carry a light pistol on my side JUST INCASE!

read this

http://www.blackbearheaven.com/bear_attacks.pdf

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
The reason that I started carrying was because of Cougar. Bear seem to scatter everytime they see me in the area. The reason I like the pepper spray idea, (although I do not own any) is because with a gun, you have to be accurate, and if a surprise attack did happen, it would happen so fast Im not sure if I would be able to get an ACCURATE shot off, then if I did get a shot off, bear have been known to keep attacking even after shot, so it is not a sure thing. It may just make them more mad.

With pepper spray on your belt, all you would have to do is discharge it. You wouldnt have to point it in the direction of the bear even if they are on you. For anyone with any experience with that stuff, anyone in the area gets affected. It seems that the bears want NOTHING to do with that stuff, and will choose FLIGHT, not fight when it is discharged.

I have heard pepper spray works really well on bears and I think in most cases it's as affective as a gun. I know from experience there are people that are able to fight even after taking a heavy dose of pepper spray. This bear was starving and I'm wondering if his need for food would have enabled him to fight through the pepper spray and kill this guy? I think in this case a gun was the best choice.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Always good to have both!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have a question for hardball15 and others that prefer pepper spray to a gun. Why do you prefer pepper spray?
The average bear attack is 30 sec. How long is it going to take a bear to die from a well placed shot? And for those of you who think you could pull out your hand gun and drop a bear on a dead run when you are on the menu, I call B.S. Unless you have the footage on film. I think both are needed when in country like that. Bear spray for primary and gun for back up. Hitting a charging animal with a hand gun is a chance, A rifle and ore shot gun, lot more probable. Bear spray almost certain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts