Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long are the extensions on your hunting bow? Is 5 1/2 inches to much?not enough? Just curious thinking of buying a new bowsight so some opinions might help

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Never measure the ones I have used I started with a Deadnuts Pro II that had a dovetail I think it was 7 inches and now I have a Sword Apex 3rd Plane. I like dovetails because I can loosen it and slide it in to get my bow in my hard case. I also think it is similar to a barrel on a rifle the farther out the pins are the more accurate one can be. I have been using a Dovetail for many years and would not buy a bow sight without one. Years back before MBG did not offer a dovetail I contact them about having one for one of their sights and they would not make a sight with one and yet now you can customize most all of their sights and many come with a dovetail option. As time passes some realize having a dovetail as an option is nice to offer...

Hope that helps...

LFM

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
4" on Black Gold Ascent

·
NAASP
14,557 Posts
Not sure. I use extreme and viper sights. How long I need depends on my peep.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
6 inch on both my sword accusite and maximus pro
But both are set at 5" unless I decide to put a larger peep in..

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a 6" extension that I never change position. It the whole way out that matches my peep precisely. The farther its away from you string, the less you will notice movement...

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I have a MGB Vengence on order with. 6" extension that I intend to use for hunting. My 55 yr old, post LASIK eyes need the pins to be further away to bring them in to focus.

·
NAASP
14,557 Posts
I have a MGB Vengence on order with. 6" extension that I intend to use for hunting. My 55 yr old, post LASIK eyes need the pins to be further away to bring them in to focus.
That is the only down fall from my lasik. Initial focal point got extended out to around 20".

Other than that, it's all been good on my 50 year old eyes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My Viper is six inches, like some the archers that have posted above at 50 it helps with my focus. I also prefer .019 pins over .029 they seem to be brighter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts