Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a lot of the local 3-D shoots, but our shoots do not have scales to check the bow or arrows, let alone chronographs for arrow velocities.

On the big shoots with your favorite 3-D organizations, do they have scales and chronographs? Are they calibrated?

I have found massive differences between bow scales from one shop to another, and often between two in the same shop. If your shoots do use bow scales, than how sure are you of their accuracy?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
scales and chronos

You have to go on faith...most of the official qualifiers oput here use both scales and chronos, and there IS a 3% variance to compensate for your chrono as opposed to someone elses, but mostly you have to believe that the tournament chrono or scale is correct.
most local shoots have no chrono or scales, and it's probably a good thing as too many locals would be DQ'ed for shooting too fast, or too light an arrow. :p

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
All the major ASA shoots have cronos set up so you can verify that you are not over their speed limit. Use them since I have seen range officals making everyone who shot over 190 on Sat. shoot through a crono and many where DQed. Just an idea and this is only my opion, Don't go to an ASA shoot with your bow set at the extreme end of the speed limit. It,s not worth it. Stay around 284 and be safe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In both orginizations, 280 is the legal speed. (As long as opting for the speed check in IBO) I hear alot of people who knowingly set-up their equipment in excess of that speed to take advantage of the 3% variance allowed. Keep in mind that that variance is to allow for differences in chronographs. If you set up your bow to exceed that 280 limit and find yourself being checked with a chrono reading faster than your normal one, you could be S.O.L.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Scale

I have never shot through a chrono at a national shoot. I always take the weight option at the IBO's and I never been fortunate enough to shoot an ASA. I will say this, every time I am checked the IBO scales are a touch lighter than mine. At Snowshoe for example they checked me and my bow pulled 64#'s. Its 66#'s on my scale. So I was way legal. I don't kow if they do that on purpose or not, but that seems to happen every time I get checked. Their grain scale however is dead on.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buckmark1 said:
I have never shot through a chrono at a national shoot. I always take the weight option at the IBO's and I never been fortunate enough to shoot an ASA. I will say this, every time I am checked the IBO scales are a touch lighter than mine. At Snowshoe for example they checked me and my bow pulled 64#'s. Its 66#'s on my scale. So I was way legal. I don't kow if they do that on purpose or not, but that seems to happen every time I get checked. Their grain scale however is dead on.
Have you had your scale calibrated? Did you see a calibration sticker on the one at IBO?

I just had my bow checked out by the Martin Factory and they set my bow at 71 # max, the local shop shows it at 74 #, and the local shop is a couple pounds lower than the one in Spokane. I'm just trying to find out how accurate those scales are and how reasonable the rules. :confused:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Michigan ASA

I would say 80% of the ASA shoots I have been to in Michigan have crono'd bows after the shoot. On my personal crono, I am at 283 and have yet to be more than 2 fps off of that when I crono'd officially.

My motto is if you set up correctly to begin with and try not to cheat the stystem - no worries!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Archersteve

I have not had mine calibrated, but I have checked it against the factory presets on my bows before I ever turn a limb bolt. It is on with what the factory says they are. I have never really looked for a calibration sticker on the scales used by the IBO. I never really needed to. I always set mine up with a little breathing room. 3-4#'s worth at least. I think doing much shooting right at 5 grs per lb is too stressful on the bows anyway.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that being a little under 5 grains/pound is not a big deal with bow stress now days. I also understand setting the bow a little under on poundage for competitions. Better yet, most cronos are probably closer than the scales.

My question really comes down to how serious can we take claims that my bow is set at XXX pounds and I shoot XXX grain arrows and I get XXX fps. Unless the post gets a lot more promising, it would appear that the claims must be taken with the proverbial grain of salt, even when the archer is completely honest.

Rest assured, if you see me at the big show, I will not be the one being checked, I'll be the one in the middle of the pack. :sad:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
ASA has had the chrony on the ranges twice this year (pros). I don't know about the amateur ranges though.

I was checked at the IBO Winternational two years ago, but not at any other venue.

Chronys can catch you if they check. My chrono showed me at 278 and the shop said 282; however, at the FL ASA, their chrono ran me at 292 and several others had to knock off a lot of draw weight. I always use the chrono at the practice range before sighting in in case I have to make a change.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
My question really comes down to how serious can we take claims that my bow is set at XXX pounds and I shoot XXX grain arrows and I get XXX fps.
I not sure what you are getting at here, but for the record chonographs usually agree within 3% of each other. At least that is what I find out comparing some around my area.

My 3d bow read 281 on one chrono, 278 on another, and 284 on another, so takeing the average here the 281 is probabley the speed of the bow.

There are other ways to compute speed of a bow. Computer programs can do this. Tap can compute the speed of the bow and arrow combination and a chronograph can verify the speed.

so my bow is 58 lbs about, 29 inch draw, arrow weighs 292, and it shoots 281 ft/sec, about, you can take that to the bank. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts