Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to tree stand hunting, just wondering how long do you stay in the tree stand? a few hours, 5, all day???? I have a book that i am going to bring, this is just a whole new way of hunting for me.

·
Born yank raised south
16,769 Posts
Depends on the time of the year I am hunting and weather conditions. In the early season I hunt until about 10 AM in the morning because by that time it is already approaching 90 degrees and in the evening I hunt from about 5PM until dark which is about 8PM here. During the rut I hunt all day most times. If I know a front is coming through at 3 PM I will go get in the stand an hour or two before that front. I have very good luck hunting right as a front is starting to pass through. Hope this helps.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
normally I get in the stand around daylight or just after and sit til between 9 and 10. depends on what Im seeing. In the evenings I'll sit from around 4 til dark in the early season. After time change, 3 til dark. If its a full moon after things cool off, sometimes I'll sleep in and go sit from 10 to 3.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
USUALLY I DONT SIT TOO LONG.I HAVE MY BUCK AROUND 5 HRS AT MOST.
avg is around 3 hrs before i get my buck each year.
usually its first day in stand.

this is why i never hunt same spot daily.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,212 Posts
most times i wont even go to the woods till 9am at the earliest. im so close to bedding that if i get in there and a good deer comes in and beds down im stuck all day till it leaves. not only that the deer in my area have the hunters pegged. when everyone rolls out about 10am, the deer get up and walk around like its night time.

·
I learn the hard way.
6,661 Posts
I typically sit about 4 hours each time I get in the stand. I'm going to try and make a couple all day sits this year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Early in the season, I am a morning and evening tree stand hunter. But about two weeks before the peak of the rut and all the way through the end of the rut, I stay in my stand all day long.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Really depends. Early on, 4hrs a sit or so. During the rut, sun up to sun down if I can.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
just like everyone else, it varies. One thing i do differently that has been VEEEEERY effective right after the season starts is getting in the stand at around 11a.m. and staying til' dark. Usually i'm out before 3pm with one on the ground. They will feed midday once the pressure cranks up.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
You know whats going to happen right? Your going to be reading that book, glance up and have a big buck looking right at you.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A few hours in the morning and then a few hours in the evening.

Ala Archer

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I usually always hunt till noon, I think it's just cause am to lazy to get down and pack every thing up.lol

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Varies tremendously. I tend to sit longer in the mornings than evenings, but I really rarely sit for more than two-three hours at a stretch, except during the peak of the rut. Most of the time I get in the tree at daylight and stay about 2.5 hours and I get in the tree about 1.5 hours before dark in the evening. Rarely have time to sit much longer these days.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Depends on the time of the year I am hunting and weather conditions. In the early season I hunt until about 10 AM in the morning because by that time it is already approaching 90 degrees and in the evening I hunt from about 5PM until dark which is about 8PM here. During the rut I hunt all day most times. If I know a front is coming through at 3 PM I will go get in the stand an hour or two before that front. I have very good luck hunting right as a front is starting to pass through. Hope this helps.
X2 pretty much like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just the fact that I'm hunting is usually enough to keep me in the stand

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I normally get in the stand around 30 to 45 minutes before light. Will sit about 4 hours or so. In the evenings I will get into the stand 3 or 4 hours before dark.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You know whats going to happen right? Your going to be reading that book, glance up and have a big buck looking right at you.
lol, x2!!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Been all day from dark to dark and been less. Started of trying to fill the time with whatever and kept getting busted. Stopped sitting started standing and glassing. I may not stay as long anymore but I'm much more efficient with the time I am. Stop reading a book and start with a good set of bino's reading the land around. Has a lot more to say than meets the naked eye. The first time you stare off into the woods not seeing anything and then look through some bino's and see the deer you didn't will make a believer out of you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts