Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I understand the theory of bh forgiveness; longer powerstroke= arrow on the string longer= more time for shooter error.

But how much longer are we really talking? I promise I am in no way a great shooter, but does this inch make any difference? If I've got bad form and/or torque issues, I'm not going to shot anything that well right?

I have not shot all the bows out, but I havent been able to tell the difference between 6 and 7 inches of bh of the ones I have shot.

Soooooooooooo............. What do ya'll think? And if someone wants to do some math, that would be fun too.

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
i havent noticed a difference.

·
Banned
1,351 Posts
I shoot 6" brace and have shot 7" like the 6" better gets the speed up.....

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Realistically,speed bows require low B/H and good shooting form. Any inconsistency in your form will be more apparent with a fast bow. Even if you shoot well enough at a target, some of that goes out the window if you're in a tree under pressure.

I've owned bows from 9 inches B/H down to 7. Shot the best group of 12 arrows (in my life) my first year as an archer. Had a 2003 BowTech TomKat with 9.5 inches B/H: 12 arrows in a two inch group at 30 yards. 8 others were watching me shoot at a cookout after having a few beers. THIS IS A FACTUAL STATEMENT! I'm sure I was quite "relaxed" which helped too! Didn't have any "robinhoods" but the grouping was amazing.

I try to duplicate the event with other bows every year. Have never come close.

Never would have parted with that bow either. Except after the lower limb exploded while target shooting the following year, the replacement limb also blew up in the dealers hand during setup / poundage testing. (Hence the name BrokenLimbs) Left dealer with a 7 inch Parker Ultra Light 31. Took a while, but I learned to shoot it. It really improved my form and technique. Even so, it was much more challenging to shoot.

Two years later, I got a leftover 2004 80# BowTech Justice. (my friend had one, and spec. wise, it seemed better than the 2005 models) This bow came close to the TomKat (with 8 inches of B/H) but never again (nearly 10,000 shots later) was history to repeat itself. Never again, have I shot a group like that!

IMHO, I honestly believe that (for a hunting bow) things really turn in your favor at 8 inches of B/H. But speed sells, and has taken front stage, so few 8 inch B/H bows are being made today. (especially in top models you see advertised)

I can settle maybe for 7 inches depending on the bow... But 6 inches? FORGET IT! I want good groups. 8-inches, that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

PS: Everyone told me "I took to a bow naturally", and that I was one of the few who had good form right out of the gate.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I've shot everything from 8 5/8ths inch brace to 5.5". I'm gonna say that about 7 or so is best for me. Being a long draw guy(30") I will be more affected by the shorter bh bc of even more time on the string.

Bh IMHO is relative to the dl, not just the shooter in general.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you have a short DL you won't notice a big difference. But if you have a 30" DL and your form isn't that good you will notice the difference. You are better off with a 7" BH if you are just starting out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts