Archery Talk Forum banner

Form - Please Critique

1045 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Kill Shill
I bought my DXT with a 27" cam and shot it this spring and summer. I could get where I was consistent enough with it, so I switched to 27.5". This allowed me to anchor where I felt more comfortable. I have attached some pictures of my form for critique. In all pictures I am leaning back and need to correct this. The last picture I have a death grip on the bow as well. I am not going say which picture is will which cam, but I am more comfortable in one of the pictures. In addition, the pro shop I go to now will swap cams until I have settled on the one I want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8,662 Posts
You have 3 different grips, To much heal in your grip,you are leaing back, your release strap is different in each shot. Fix that then post again.

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Looks pretty good.

If I had to critique anything, it would be don't push or jut your left hip toward the target. If that is result of "ducking"under to see through the peep, may want to raise it. But normaly it is just a bad tendancy.

#3 looks good.

When you feel comfortable or don't suffer from an eye dominance issue, try shooting both eyes open. Gives a better sight picture and relaxes the face, which relaxes the neck muscles, connected to the traps, connected to the shoulder... etc

Evenly distribute weight. Keep your core centered.

Like so

happy shooting

Attachments

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Ok...2 things

Don't take the term "grip" too litteraly. Relax the hand and let it seat to the bow the way you hand naturaly sets. point your arm out at a wall, notice the knuckles run at an angle from top to bottom, not straight up and down?

Maybe loosen your wrist sling, it's only purpose is to keep the bow from launching forward.

Too much choke on the grip and fingers around the riser will induce unwanted muscle ttension and torque.

Excuse the bad pics, their all I had handy.

Attachments

· Registered
4,479 Posts
Looks pretty good.

If I had to critique anything, it would be don't push or jut your left hip toward the target. If that is result of "ducking"under to see through the peep, may want to raise it. But normaly it is just a bad tendancy.

#3 looks good.

When you feel comfortable or don't suffer from an eye dominance issue, try shooting both eyes open. Gives a better sight picture and relaxes the face, which relaxes the neck muscles, connected to the traps, connected to the shoulder... etc

Evenly distribute weight. Keep your core centered.

Like so

happy shooting
Ive heard other people shoot with both eyes open. If im focused on the target with both open I see two sets of pins. I dont see how you focus on something long distance and then clearly see your pin.

· Registered
2,236 Posts
I think your 2nd picture looks best , in all the pictures it looks like you are twisted to the left ,try an outdoor picture where you are not boxed in and aim at something shoulder level

You are leaning back quite a bit also

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Ive heard other people shoot with both eyes open. If im focused on the target with both open I see two sets of pins. I dont see how you focus on something long distance and then clearly see your pin.
Takes a little getting used to.

And for some shooters it isn't possible, depending on which eye is dominant.

To practice, look at, and only at your intended target while drawing and ancoring for the shot. Don't look directly at your pin, but bring the sight into line between you and the target....don't look at the pin, just allow it to superimpose itself over the target. Over time your brain and eye will "ignore" that ghost pin or fiber dots.

If you shoot multiple pins it will take more getting used to, as there is more info for the brain and eye to sort out.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
dude , just another observation...do you have any idea how much better you could shoot with a longer a2a rig with the peep 1/2-2/3rds less that distance from your eyeball? Especially guys with longer draws, how can anyone hit anything with those shorties amazes me?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.