Archery Talk Forum banner

Forming fiber optics on you pin sight???

1289 18
I would like to hear the different ways people use to munipulate the fiber optics when you need to replace it in the pin sight. IE. heat gun , candle, hot water and so on. I am looking for the most practical method. I have used heaters and lighters in the past. Info and pic's please or good ideas.

Thank you

Corey
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· C:\My Documents\My Pictur
24,688 Posts
Reply to subject

Hello
Good Post

Iam interested also in what replies you recieve here.

Seems this subject is a trade secert with most sight companys.

Later
Unk :)

· Registered
1,765 Posts
I use a lighter VERY carefully. A little heat is all it takes.

I'm also interested in other methods. I wonder if you could use a chemical to soften the fiber? Like acetone or something.

Just a thought, I will have to give it a try.

Darrel

· Registered
3,985 Posts
Good question. I'm interested in finding out what works, too. I built a small jig with nails on a board but have not begun to experiment with heat sources. I thought I'd start with a hair dryer then go to a flame source if that doesn't work.

· Registered
4,058 Posts
Hair dryer???? Now that may be the ticket!

I just wanted to get on the thread so I could see what everyone else used as well. My only sucessful method is with hot water, and too hot means bad results.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Acetone doesn't work, I just gave it a try. Maybe lacquer thinner :D

Darrel

· washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Using a flame is bad for me...the fiber goes up like a fuse...LMAO..

Currently I am using a soldering iron and heating up the fiber from a little distance. Still sucks for big radius bends. Trying to do the big offset Copper John pins is a giant P.I.T.A. !!!

· Registered
9,862 Posts
Like AK said, a soldering gun would work. I use an electric wood burning pen with very good results. Hold the hot tip progressively closer to the fiber where you want it to bend while applying pressure while watching very closely. It's very delicate work, something your girlfriend or wife would be better suited to doing if your hands and fingers are like mine,,, big and clumsy :( If you touch it with the hot tip,, toast city!!!!! :eek:

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not think it was a peice of cake either. I have not tried the hair dryer trick but I was goingot try a heat gun, problem it there is a very fine line as to how hot to get the strands, to hot the fiber curls up like a snake and becomes very brittle when desired shape is achived and the light transmition suffers also. We have all had good ideas and it would be nice for someone to step up with the so called full proof method. LOL. I found the lighter method is really good for the ball at the sight end of the fiber. Keep the ideas coming and thank you for all the replys.

Corey

· Registered
3,985 Posts
Voila! The hair dryer works just fine. I wrapped the fiber optic around the nails in the shape I wanted and taped each end to the wood base. I held the dryer close and ran it for a minute (the nails got warm). Let the fiber optic cool for a minute or so and it's just what I wanted. :D

Happy New Year to all ...

· Registered
2,851 Posts
Water

Very Hot or boiling Water. dip the whole thing in the water and form it while it is in the water or use a steam kittle and from the fiber in the steam path. It will not hurt the intgrity of the protective coating and works like a charm. It also instantly cools once out of the water or steam and stays put. I have bent fiber in a "L" shape and it be bright on both ends. Try that one and let me know what you think. Junkie

· Registered
6,506 Posts
a hair dryer works but so does something called a heat shrink gun.. its used to put heat shrink tubing on electrical wires , it would be perfect for heating up fiber optics because you can control the amount of heat ..

Shoot Strong
Tony

· Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My neighbor Greg is the coolest. I just have to remember to log off when using his computer or stuff like this happens.

HI COREY :D

· C:\My Documents\My Pictur
24,688 Posts
Reply to subject

Hello All

t t

Lets here some more ideas

Later
Unk :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.