Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the formula for figuring out the draw length of a person by measuring their over all wing span

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
The 2 common formulas are

Wingspan divided by 2.5

Wingspan -15 devided by 2.

In my opinion these are only a guide and are not accurate for a lot of people, especially if one side of your body is longer than the other.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
The 2 common formulas are

Wingspan divided by 2.5

Wingspan -15 devided by 2.

In my opinion these are only a guide and are not accurate for a lot of people, especially if one side of your body is longer than the other.

I agree. I have seen this work but I have seen it fell more often. Usually gets you in the ball park of figures however.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I've found a better gauge is to take a yard stick, place it between your collar bones in the pit of the neck so it extends straight out, extend your arms straight out (do not stretch) and see where your middle finger tips measure. IMO, much more accurate than the wingspan method.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
direction

I agree. I have seen this work but I have seen it fell more often. Usually gets you in the ball park of figures however.
which way do you see it "fail" most often? is the archer's optimum DL usually shorter or longer than the book's number?

·
Registered
368 Posts
What is the formula for figuring out the draw length of a person by measuring their over all wing span
Fist to the wall method will get you close, its not as fancy as some of the other ways,but will get you close. Let your pro shop fine tune it, if you dont have the gear to do it yourself.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Draw

I've found a better gauge is to take a yard stick, place it between your collar bones in the pit of the neck so it extends straight out, extend your arms straight out (do not stretch) and see where your middle finger tips measure. IMO, much more accurate than the wingspan method.
what i do is hook on the inside of my thumb & draw the tape measure back to the corner of my mouth & it puts it exact
All the above mentioned methods will get you close... the issue isn't your draw length... it is what the bows draw length is. Does it run long?? Short?? Right on??
Depends on the bow you choose.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
but

what i do is hook on the inside of my thumb & draw the tape measure back to the corner of my mouth & it puts it exact
but don't you then need to add 1.75 inches to that figure the way the manufacturers do it? i think that is the added amount? you are measuring TRUE draw length with your method which i don't understand WHY they don't just keep things simple and use that to sell bows?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts