Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to connect with anyone that hunts on Fort Benning to share some tips and tactics. This is the first year I've hunted on post and have killed two pigs and one doe so far. Anybody currently hunting on post?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I usually do but not this year, Im down towards Rucker this year. If you want to kill some pigs go to the GA side and get as close to the river as possible and they will come. Didnt deer hunt much there as I had a lease not to far from Ft.Mitchell that was way more productive. Benning is a hard hunt as is any military base, its not that there aren't deer. They are just hard to pattern due to the maneuvers and guys being in the field. Georgia is your key place for the bigger dear and better chances just based on acreage.
Best tactic is find natural food sources and find areas that are hard to get to. You best have a 4x4 as when it rains its like driving on a big orange booger! I always walk at least a half mile to mile from the truck and hunt natural funnels between bedding and natural food.
Most deer there move all times of day. If you spook a good one dont worry come back the next day and you will probably see him again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
93 Posts
I will be at Ft. benning next month. I am looking for some guys that have hunted the area down there before to help me get started. I've never been hog hunting. I've heard it's lots of fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
300 Posts
I hunt on benning and I will say hunting low areas near creeks for hogs is your best bet. Another thing to help with scouting is to pay attention to which areas are almost always open for hunting with guns, these areas aren't used often for training so the deer will be easier to pattern. Lots of people take advantage of hunting all over post, and I don't blame them, but I have found more success by picking a few hunting areas and learning the fine points of the area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'd like to hear from others as well. Hopefully someone one here wouldn't mind a hunting buddy for the second half of season.

sent from my GALAXY NOTE using tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I've been hunting Fort Benning for the last 4 years and know a lot of area's like the back of my hand. I would either hunt right under their nose or way in deep. Some of the bow only area's on post can provide season long success if you scout and play your cards right. The QDMA has been on fire this year and things are starting to look up for that area. Fort Benning is WAY OVER populated when it comes to deer and pigs. The deer just don't get the proper nutrition here. If you work hard and pass smaller bucks there are big ones here and a lot more then most people think. My advise is listen to nobody and do the homework yourself....most hunters here will purposely guide you in the wrong direction. If you need a good area or two to check into then let me know and i'll point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, even though I didn't read all of this until now. I thought AT would send me an email notification when someone responded but oh well...I hunted Benning last year and had a lot of success. Killed one nice 9 point and seen tons of deer and hogs. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts