Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just piddling around since I've never been much for using a flat stone to sharpen anything. Have a slight tremor in my hand (have since I was 25) that hasnt gotten worse over the years, my grandfather and mother have it. Between that and lack of ever finding that zen when sharpening, I've always cheated with my knives and used the motorized guided kitchen type or the stands that hold the and for your and you swipe the diamond those across the blade in a clamp.

Background over, I'll get to why you are all reading: staring at one of my favorite knife sharpeners, a Worksharp brand belt sharpener, I started wondering. It puts a wonderful edge on every knife I've used it on, and as long as the steel is good, the edges hold up very well.

Grabbed a replaceable blade, 2 quick bursts of the trigger on each edge later with the mid grit belt, and a longer burst on each edge with the fine grit belt, and Voila!! Shaving sharp replaceable blades for my Afflictor K2 head at 25 deg per side. If i take more time with it, i could easily get them a hair sharper.

Went ahead and did the bleeders and the tip, though the tip I had to eyeball since I didn't want to change the angle.

I think I might up the angle a bit with a custom spacer to get to 30 per side, but I want to do some research first.

Bottom line, I've found my method and will continue until it proves to be faulty in some way.
Pic of the sharpener I used for reference.
Automotive tire Tool Saw chain Power tool Saw

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll do 20 and 25. If you have a steady enough hand, you can eyeball whatever angle you want, but the guide plates on each side of the belt will do 1 of those 2 angles.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope it works for you. I bought the Ken Onion version, work sharp. I could not get BHs or knives sharp. Gave it away.
Wow. Surprised, because this thing has been a gem for me sharpening every knife I own. I went around the house, shop, boat, and truck collecting every knife and getting them sharp after I figured it out. That's what made me try the broadhead blades. Sucks it didn't work for you.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Hope it works for you. I bought the Ken Onion version, work sharp. I could not get BHs or knives sharp. Gave it away.
Mine gets knives razor sharp but I never tried a broadhead blade. I cant see getting a consistent angle with a little blade being held by pliers.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine gets knives razor sharp but I never tried a broadhead blade. I cant see getting a consistent angle with a little blade being held by pliers.
Took me a second thinking about it, but yeah, just hold it snug against the guide and at a 90 to the belt, worked like a charm. Doesn't take much time on the belt.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Took me a second thinking about it, but yeah, just hold it snug against the guide and at a 90 to the belt, worked like a charm. Doesn't take much time on the belt.
I’ll give it another try. The one blade I attempted to sharpen got ate up quickly lol. Ruined the blade. My KME and wicked edge does a really good job on broadheads.

Reactions: Tolbnd

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need to switch if you have a good method. These blades were already toast so I didn't mind trying. Use the red belt sparingly. Couple of quick bursts per side. The fine grit you can use a bit longer. Just do it in bursts so you don't heat the blade too much and jack up the heat treat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts