Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a city slicker uncle that owns about 30 acres of wood that i have permisson to hunt, but he lets no one else. and i was for a walk the other day and came across a trail cam about 30 yrds from the property line (barbwire fence) onto his property side. so what would you guys do? take it? or leave it?
im thinking im going to go grab it and leave a note saying some smart ass comment.

we have had trouble with this guy, i think its the same one, hunting/shooting onto my uncles side of the fence before.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would contact the local Police and let them remove it and have them leave a note to pick it up at the police station and when he does he will also get nailed for tresspassing that way you and the land owner are out of the picture in case he tries to get even

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
looks like someone left ya a gift:darkbeer:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would contact the local Police and let them remove it and have them leave a note to pick it up at the police station and when he does he will also get nailed for tresspassing that way you and the land owner are out of the picture in case he tries to get even
I think Ken just gave you excellent advice.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
no sense in being an jerk about, just leave a note saying to come get your cam and explain it to him to stay off your property. Done deal

·
Registered
667 Posts
Get the authorities involved so the next time he is caught on there he can't say that he didn't know he was trespassing or he didn't know where the property lines were. The more times they have to come out there the more likely they are to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Not sure but I'd assume whereever you are you'd need to contact your Game Protector. I've had a trap stolen once where I had permission to trap fox, checked it every morning and the one day had a note left with a jerk comment so if I were you I wouldn't stoop to that level.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,679 Posts
DOn't take it

Why stoop to the level of a thief....

Here’s my advice....

Put a note in a plastic bag and attach it to the cam in a way so that the elements won't move it off of the cam. With the note, indicate that the camera is located on private property without permission. Leave your name and mobile phone number as a contact. You never know, the owner may call to ask for permission at which time you can deny access or discuss. What if he owns an adjoining 30 acres and is willing to share access between the two. Providing your uncle is supportive your 30 acres just grew to 60:teeth:. If things don't work out that way - at least he is on notice that he was trespassing on private property, he is NOT welcome in the future, the property will now be patrolled (at least by you), and you are an avid bow hunter.

We need to build bridges, not add to the very things that tear them down.

Joe

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
i'd go with the law enforcement angle. Have them take the camera, leaving a note. If and when he decides to pick it up, they can serve him the trespass papers, therefore its legal. he's been served at that point, so in the future, if he trespasses, he will be CHARGED, not warned/advised. Only problem with that is...you MIGHT have a hard time getting the local law enforcement to do all of that for you. They might just advise you to take the camera since its on private property. They might not be willing to "baby sit" the whole situation and wait for someone to come pick up his property.

·
USAF Retired
3,394 Posts
Not your property

It would be the Uncle's right to take the camera, but not yours. Leave a note saying you believe it is on the wrong side of the fence and you will check with the landowner to see if he wants it removed. Next time you go back, I bet it's gone!

ok so i have a city slicker uncle that owns about 30 acres of wood that i have permisson to hunt, but he lets no one else. and i was for a walk the other day and came across a trail cam about 30 yrds from the property line (barbwire fence) onto his property side. so what would you guys do? take it? or leave it?
im thinking im going to go grab it and leave a note saying some smart ass comment.

we have had trouble with this guy, i think its the same one, hunting/shooting onto my uncles side of the fence before.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
X 3, they probably wont call the police to recover their cam so you will have a free cam. Pike

·
Registered
183 Posts
When you stoop to the level of trespassers, poachers, and thieves, you join them and deserve no support from the hunting community or law enforcement. My suggestion:

1) Be sure the property is properly posted in conjunction with your uncle.

2) Set up and conceal a small ScoutGuard or other camera in daytime only mode so no flash gives it away. He will likely check his camera during daylight hours.

3) Once you get pictures, call law enforcement and have him prosecuted for trespass.

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
542 Posts
Take his cam and leave a note on where to find it... At the police station with his trespassing ticket. ;)

AND put up a cam to take pictures of him "finding" your note so if he says you stole it you have proof he was in the wrong.

:slice:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Take his cam and leave a note on where to find it... At the police station with his trespassing ticket. ;)

AND put up a cam to take pictures of him "finding" your note so if he says you stole it you have proof he was in the wrong.

:slice:
Around here, the onus is one the "hunter" to know the property lines. Ignorance is no excuse, the way it should be!

·
Registered
974 Posts
i would take that sucker and tell him he can pick it up at my house so i could confront him. if i would just leave a note telling him to take it down he would just be trespassing for a second time... i dont take kindly to trespassers

·
Registered
496 Posts
Put an arrow through it , pin it to the tree

·
Registered
951 Posts
put duct tape over the lense so he deosn't get any more pics and leave a note for him explaineing it shouldn't be there and contact info. Or take it and leave contact info (cell number) and tell him you will meet him at a coffee shop to give it back. If it was an honest mistake he will call say sorry and it wont happen again hopefully. if it's the same guy he wont call and you got a cam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts